L shaped kitchen unit door config query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of building my new kitchen ready for the fitter to install it for me.

I have a L shaped base corner unit and the positioning of the door handles has got me stratching my head.

If i was to put them in the position i originally thought (both in the inner corner) then the doors won't open because they catch on the handles.

Am i meant to put one in the corner and the other on the outer part of the other door which will give the impression of it opening from the opposite side to which it does open. If ya see what i mean :confused:

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Just hinge one door from the carcase and hinge the other door off that using a piano hinge down the internal corner like this base corner

Jason

Cheers Jason

I don't think that will work on mine.

The two doors don't meet in the middle and have a fillet to attach to one of the doors to fill the gap down the middle.

Its designed so that the left hand door has to be opened before the right hand door can be opened.

I'm starting to think that the right hand side door is not meant to have an handle fitted.

Isn,t the fillet you fix to the door "L" shaped.

If it is, you should fix one leg to the RH door, the other leg will point out towards you, the LH door then butts up to this leg when the doors are closed.

It is the leg pointing towards you from the RH door, that gives you room to open the LH door when both handles are fitted.

If you are not sure what I mean, I can post some pics of my corner unit.

Sponsored Links
trazor said:
Isn,t the fillet you fix to the door "L" shaped.

If it is, you should fix one leg to the RH door, the other leg will point out towards you, the LH door then butts up to this leg when the doors are closed.

It is the leg pointing towards you from the RH door, that gives you room to open the LH door when both handles are fitted.

If you are not sure what I mean, I can post some pics of my corner unit.

I sort of understand what you are saying but the fillet on mine is not very large so when it is fixed to the right hand door there would be no way that the left hand door could be openened.

Here is some pics.

The first one is the base unit without the fillet or handle fitted.

The second one is the wall unit with fillet and handle attached.

Picture734.jpg

Picture733.jpg

Thanks

I see what you mean, my corner unit has a larger "L" section, consequently more room for the handles to pass each other.

As you said it would appear your only option is to leave the RH handle off.... :confused:

Have you no brochures or internet sites where you could see the assembled units, and see how they appear.
What about where you purchased it from, did they have a display...??

I have the brochure but there are no corners in the display :rolleyes:

I saw it on display in a v expensive showroom (the prices that they charge are mind boggling) but they had a diagonal corner unit fit.

I bought it from a trade outlet so no displays just a big warehouse with lots of boxes in it :LOL:

You tell them what you want, they sell you it, full stop.

I've just wondered if i was have a "dim" moment and was missing something .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back