Laminate floor laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I'm new here - but not so new to DIY and will attempt most things, apart from plumbing and anything to do with electricity! :eek:

Anyway, I'm going to lay a laminate floor a the weekend.
Two questions.

1) What's the best saw to use?
(I have a hand saw specially for laminate but haven't used it yet.)

2) Can I lay it over the carpet underlay in my room, or will this provide too much 'bounce' for the floor?

Thanks!

:)

Sponsored Links
First quick reply (have to rush out):
Please remove your carpet! You do not want to know what's in it (even after cleaning/vacuum-cleaning). Health hassard!! (Not to mention smelly, mouldy etc, etc, etc)

Ummm.. carpet is coming up of course. I was referring to the underlay which I've been told that I can lay laminate over. :?:

Still the same story. Have you ever lift up a carpet (including underlayment) and were amazed of the amount of dirt and dust you found?

Depending on the type of underlay the floor can be indeed bouncy. Why not try it out with a large sheetmaterial (like chipboard/plywood) and see what that does.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, but I don't think you're quite understanding me.
Perhaps I'm not explaining myself properly.

Forget the dust and the dirt under the very good foam underlay on my floor currently, because it will be thoroughly cleaned.

The actual question I need answering is: Is there any reason given anywhere why laminate can't be laid over underlay?

Also, can I use a handsaw to cut the laminate or must I hire a circular saw?

Lebanna said:
Is there any reason given anywhere why laminate can't be laid over underlay?
Woodulike did says it can be bouncy. My opinion is I wouldn't use carpet underlay because of the way they are made, being ripples effect you may have air trap pushing out the side as you're walking on it. If you look at the laminated flooring underlay, they are flat with no ripples.

Lebanna said:
Also, can I use a handsaw to cut the laminate or must I hire a circular saw?
Handsaw with a fine tooth or a jig-saw with the correct blade.

Thanks - wasn't thinking 'bouncy' would be bad, but now you mention ripples and air, then yes, not good.

Thanks for the saw tip.
No doubt I'll be back on here half way through the job saying 'HELP!'

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back