laminate flooring - which way to start boards in en-suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always spend ages pondering over which way to lay boards (click fit)when starting a room with a door !!, pedestal and a wc. Should i aim to go across these or in line with them. What factors need to be considered. Sometimes you are unable to add a board due to it fouling the fixture itself whilst tilted at angle (prior to clicking in). Also, If you cut in tight to the fixtures , does this cause expansion gap issues.

Sponsored Links
jamiller said:
Also, If you cut in tight to the fixtures , does this cause expansion gap issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about expansion gaps in a small en-suite. Laminate flooring doesn't move that much anyway. I think a good rule of thumb is 1mm gap each side per metre.

HandyJon said:
jamiller said:
Also, If you cut in tight to the fixtures , does this cause expansion gap issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about expansion gaps in a small en-suite. Laminate flooring doesn't move that much anyway. I think a good rule of thumb is 1mm gap each side per metre.

Sorry HandyJon, even Melamine Laminated flooring reacts to moist (the middle MDF part that is)
Rule of thumb is in fact 3mm per meter wide, minimum of 10mm (always, even with Melamine).

Click-systems are a pain, always! When installing in bathrooms, make sure you have the product that's suitable for wet-areas; remove toilet pan and pedestal first, install floor, place stuff back and seal joint between pan/pedestal and floor to prevent moist getting in
(toilet - menfolk - not always aiming right - un hygienic spillage ;))

are you saying you should def not fit around pedastal and wc. If these have been tiled around further up, it is a big job to take out and replace 10mm higher. Has anyone else cut around and left a gap to fill with silicon.

Sponsored Links
Removing the pan and pedestal gives the best 'clean' finish. On a couple of occassions we've had to leave them in situ due to the complex nature of previous fitting/boxing etc. You can cut round the bases but the scribing has to be very accurate to ensure a correct profile, its also time consuming. Theres nothing worse than having tons of sealant spoiling the fittings. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back