Laminate over different subfloors

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by danr86, 8 Feb 2013.

1. danr86

danr86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm about to lay some laminate in my hallway and under the stairs. However,
    the previoius owner decided to put in a concrete slab under part of the staircase.
    I was going to put down the white roll of underlay on the floorboard area but i'm not sure what to do where the concrete slab is.
    Do I just need to put a plastic membrane down in this area or would I be best pulling up the concrete and putting down floorboards?

Thanks in advance.

2. Floorsave

Floorsave

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can find foam underlays with a built in DPM sheet attached, it is the best way t go across the whole floor as you do not want height variations from one area to the other

3. Sponsored Links
  4. dazlight

dazlight

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the concrete area higher or lower then the floorboards? You might need to ply the floorboards or screed the concrete to get the level right.

5. danr86

danr86

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Concrete level is flush with the floorboards.

I thought you can't use an underlyway with a dpm over floorboards as the subfloor won't be able to "breathe" etc.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Floorsave

Floorsave

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It will not cause an issue with the DPM underlay on wooden subfloors. If you feel it may you will be able to find foam or rubber products that are the same thickness that offer both options with and without the DPM

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local