Laminate worktops - jointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost set to start replacing worktops in my kitchen and have had a couple of practice runs at creating joints on offcuts. The problems that I have encountered are:
The jig moved very slightly (but making a considerable difference) - I guess that just involves using more clamps.
The router burnt the wood (also not doing the cutter much good either) - I think I turned the speed up too high and didn't move the router fast enough - it seemed like it might be difficult to move at the speed required. Is it better to have a slow speed and move the router slowly?
Biggest problem - router bit not long enough to go through jig, collet and worktop - are longer router bits available? I will be cutting 38mm worktop. I did move the bit down in the holder - this resulted in a horrible screeching sound as I cut and I was worried that the bit wasn't held securely enough.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1)..Buy a 50 m/m long cutter.

2)..Clamp jig tightly.

3)..Only take out 10 m/m depth at a time maximum.

4)..Arrange it so you pull the router towards you, you will have more control, hold the router down firmly. Let the cutter do the work, do not try to pull to hard.

5)..You will find the jig will have a bit of slack, do your 10 m/m passes, away from your finished join line, then do a full depth pass on the other side of the jig to leave a nice vertical cut.

6)..Cut the female joint good side up, the male joint good side down.

7)..Make sure the cutter is cutting OUT of your finished join line. That is when pulling the cutter towards you, it should be cutting clockwise, coming out of the finished cut.

..............Good luck.......... :)

Thanks for the reply Trazor - very much appreciated - I have got a 50mm cutter but maybe it was held too high up in the machine - will move it down slightly.

Sponsored Links
thanks very much - I will do. I was using 50mm cutter - are longer cutters available? which makes are good and where can you buy them. I looked in Homebase recently but couldnt find any - have yet to try my independent hardware store who usually stock everything Homebase and B&Q dont!!

Forget the sheds, limited range and way overpriced. Try screwfix.com, axminster.co.uk or even eBay (don't buy used cutters though ;) )

Remember when we say 50 m/m long cutter, that is the length of the cutting flutes, the actual bit will be longer....

DO NOT lower the cutter in its collet, this may cause damage, and was probably the cause of your "screech".

You should be using a 1/2" router, not 1/4"..and make sure the plunge depth of the router is at least capable of 50 m/m.

Hi Gary,

Sounds distinctly like blunt cutters to me. If you're cutting worktops, you should always use brand new.

Just pop to BnQ and buy a new 50mm x 12.7mm Trend Straight 2 fluted cutter.

Take about 6mm each pass, turn the speed up full & don't move too slowly with the cutter. You should be able to 'feel' what seems right.....not pushing, but guiding the router.

....keep at least 3/4 of the cutter shank in the collet.....don't go extending too much.....this could be highly dangerous. You run the risk of the collet not gripping the cutter sufficiently.

Guys - thanks very much for all the advice - I really appreciate that you are giving your time to pass on your knowledge to others. Just one more question - I notice that screwfix sell a 60mm (actual cutting length) cutter. Is there a problem with using a bit with a longer cutter, therefore ensuring that it will reach through the jig and worktop. When practising the only way to achieve this was to lower the bit in the holder - I think maybe my router doesn't plunge low enough

That should be fine.

There's only so low any plunge router can plunge !?

Have you checked your depth adjuster (sorry if I'm stating the obvious.....)

Thanks very much for all the advice - I will have a few more practice runs, buy two new cutters at 60mm long and then attempt the real thing

No - I haven't done it yet - Homebase didn't deliver them when they were supposed to!! Probably now will have to wait another few weeks - sorry! I will check out those videos - thanks very much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back