Land Rover Discovery - Brake Pedal noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My 1996 3.9V8i Discovery didn't slow too well in emergency stop situations, so today I checked the pads and the pistons/calipers.
The pads where nearly at their limit, so I replaced them all round.
The calipers/pistons were fine.
I checked that the servo and valve were working OK, and they are.

Problem is, there's no real 'snap' to the brakes (OK, I know it weighs 2 tons and should possibly have an anchor to bring it to a halt) but emergency stops can be hairy.

Weird thing is, otherwise the brakes seem fine. Not noticeably spongey.

BUT, there is an audible 'squish' sound heard inside the car (sounds like from behind the brake pedal) when the pedal is depressed.

I'm getting depressed now.
Is the 'squish' normal?
Can there be air in the system or the brake fluid iffy even with a firm pedal?

Please help if you can.

Cheers,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Change the Brake Fluid, has it ever been changed? after a few years it can get water in the fluid. If it has been changed, try bleeding the system.

Sponsored Links
Guys,

Thanks for the responses....

1) No, it doesn't feel like pushing on a brick, but the workshop manual states that the pedal will firm up as it repeatedly pushed.
2) I don't know when the brake fluid was changed last. But its done 100,000 and I got it 2 months ago from a guy that had it for 2 years (without servicing it apparently) but it had been dealer serviced up until 10,000 miles ago. Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years/24,000 miles according to the manual.
3) I figured it might be the master cylinder, possibly, but I'll try replacing the brake fluid first.

Cheers for the help, I really appreciate it.
Now lets get under that car!

Ian

Back