Languages in Schools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it is about time we stopped teaching French in schools. Metaphorically speaking it is no longer the closest different-language country - other countries are just as easy to get to. Other languages are more widespread and have more population.

So let's stop this middle-class obsession with France and the French and learn a useful language.

Here is the order of language preference I would like to see:

1. English (teech kidz how 2 speek it proppa)
2. Chinese family (growing economy blah blah)
3. Spanish (ever increasing speakers, especially in US)
4. German (largest country in Europe)
5. Japanese (technological innovators)
6. Portuguese (great potential for growth)
7. Arabic (let's bridge those gaps)
8. Hindi (I once ordered a jug of water in a restaurant in Leicester using Hindi to a young whippersnapper who didn't know any English, or pretended not to).
9. Maybe then French

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think learning other languages is very handy; provided they are ones that you will actually use. Learning a language that you will not frequently use is STUPID (so no Latin)

SO:

Spanish (for your holidays) or French (if you go there) or Italian (if you're posh and go there)
German (if you are likely to go there on business)
American (so you can understand the films)
Urdu and Gujerati (lots of people here)
Arabic (a world language, I understand)

And the younger you start, the better.

how about we make all other country either learn to speak english or we wont have anything to do with them :LOL:

how about we make all other country either learn to speak english or we wont have anything to do with them :LOL:

oh and >> this youngwhippersnapper wtf was he doing in this country sounds like he was either an illegal or working for his uncle illegally etc

grass him up :LOL:

Slogger? Are you still here? i thought you were going to fly to Beirut and join in the fighting?

Slogger said:
That's already in place, cause you dont' speak any other language then English (besides 'parrot' french)

Pièces d'huit!
Pièces d'huit!
Pièces d'huit!

JohnD said:
Slogger? Are you still here? i thought you were going to fly to Beirut and join in the fighting?
:LOL: ah i lied i am going to IBIZA on wednesday at least i hope i am :eek:

WoodYouLike said:
Slogger said:
That's already in place, cause you dont' speak any other language then English (besides 'parrot' french)

?? parrot french eh parrot french eh mon diue monsier mon due :LOL:

what can you do with bread that you cant do with frenchmen

make soldiers :LOL:

Not quite as old when you consider the size of the French army in WW1 and the incredible number of casualties they suffered.

French Empire
Mobilized 7,500,000
Killed 1,385,000
Wounded 4,266,000
Total Casualties 5,651,000 (75%)

No doubt contributes to their being less enthusiastic to have an unnecessary war than President Bush is.

Sponsored Links
Back