laptop not charging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I am in a very big problem :( . My Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop was working absolutely perfect until this happened. My friend’s (with he same lap top) charger was not working so he brought to mine to check if the charger is faulty. I plugged that into my laptop but nothing happened. After that, my own charger is not charging my laptop. Except this charging problem my laptop is perfectly OK as it was running until the battery had life in it. Now the battery also gone flat and I am without my precious laptop. Someone suggested that the motherboard has to be changed. Is this true? I can get a new laptop in the motherboard’s price but I want to keep this one. I like it very much. Please, please can any one help me?? :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Have you tested the chargers to see if they are producing any output?

Yes. The charger is working fine. It is just not charging the laptop. May be something to do with the power supply, i guess??

I think your "friend" walked off with your working charger and left his broken one behind.

Sponsored Links
saif said:
Yes. The charger is working fine. It is just not charging the laptop. May be something to do with the power supply, i guess??

What about the other charger?

saif said:

The power supply is the charger :confused:

Have you checked the power connector on the laptop - missing pins etc. This is a common problem, also the connectors can lift off the motherboard - especially if the lead putting stress on the connector if you move the laptop around a lot when plugged in.

Connector repairs are nomally about £100 (3 hours labour to strip down and solder new connector on to motherboard). Felt brave and did one for a friend before Christmas - connector was £10 on ebay - fiend was v.happy.

Well, I had a look at the power connector and that seems fine to me. I can not see any physical damage in any part of my laptop when i opened it.

Also, when I mentioned power supply problem earlier on, I actually meant power circuit of the motherboard. :oops:

Igorian said:
What about the other charger?

That was already broken at that time. Supplying more current than it should. ( i guessed that only after it broke down my laptop)

saif said:
That was already broken at that time. Supplying more current than it should. ( i guessed that only after it broke down my laptop)

So are you guessing or have you actually measured? What were the results?

Sponsored Links
Back