large building project over staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
allowing for the 2m headroom over the stairs, I've spotted a way to create a huge amount of useful cupboard space over a stairwell.
Has anyone similar to this and what are the implications re: building regs, and notifying freeholder.

bert

Sponsored Links
Building control do not care and your freeholder neither unless you mean the communal staircase :eek:
Pete

thanx,
leasehold maisonette, not a shared staircase.

the main driving force behind this is so that a small wc room can be extended
into the hall and the sink for it (there was none before :confused: ) can be built into the 'cupboard' over the stairwell.
it's door frame will have to be 'rotated 90' so I guess I'd be changing the floorplan/layout, though not creating any floorspace, and thered be no risk of anyone walking into an opening door as per building regs.

afaik i dont need no notify anyone to partition a room into 2 so is this more of the same?

bert

Partitioning a room and creating a new room can have implications for means of escape from the room created, and therefore may require BC approval depending on the room's use. Also depending on the partition construction and the floor it will sit on, then it may have structural or loading implications

Materially altering waste disposal can require approval too.

Altering internal rooms/partitions and bathroom installations typically requires the landlord/leasholders consent

Sponsored Links
If i take photo's as I go along showing whats behind the renderings, can i get retrospective planning and approval should it come to that years later? or will the freeholder insist that I return everything to the awful condition it was(is) in before (improperly fastened studwork, poor pipe routing etc.)

Cash is a bit low atm so cant pay for external inspectors.

The objectives of the freeholder will be completley different to any statutory requirements which you may have to meet.

The freeholder is purely concerned with rental income and if he can increase income by way of charges for unauthorised work, and costs of returning the property to its original condition, then I am sure he will do this.

Requests for improvements can not be withheld unreasonably, and you would be wise to get permission first from the freeholder, and then sort out any statutory requirements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back