Large fire hoods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrician will not install my spot lights without firehoods (they are large (L505 W185 H172), but for the life of me, I can't find any (not quite true, I found some fire cages, but they have to be put in from above, which is not an option - above is a new tiled floor).

Can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
What type of spotlight are you having fitted? I assume the size you stated is for the firehood?

Taylortwocities said:
What ceiling is this? Is it a fire rated ceiling (eg garage) or are you in multi occupancy building (eg flats?). If neither of these then firehoods are not required.

Assume by his mentioning of tiled floor I guess a bathroom is directly above the room where he's fitting downlighters / spots.

Are you saying that firehoods aren't required unless its multi-occupancy? eg not required in a standard house, dining room downstairs with a bedroom up above?

[EDIT] Just had a look around and found that if the ceiling isn't considered to be a fire barrier then firehoods aren't needed. I can't imagine ceiling being regarded as fire barriers in standard 2 storey domestic dwellings.
If the ceiling is considered to be a fire barrier then it has to be resistant for 30 minutes.
A study found that even cutting a hole into the ceiling and fitting a standard downlighter this didn't make a significant change to fire resistance.

That said, I always fit fire rated fittings.

Sponsored Links
If you do need to maintain the integrity of the ceiling you could always fit fire can type downlighters. They are much less faffing about than fire hoods.

clicky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back