Large gaps between frame and wall: filling techniques

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
70s bungalow. Just been redecorating the spare room.

On removing the existing wallpaper round the window reveal, I found that the previous occupants had wallpapered, then applied sealant *on top of* the wallpaper to fill the gap between the UPVC window and the wall.

Removing the wallpaper pulls away the sealant bead. This has revealed some pretty large gaps between the window frame and wall. I can poke my finger through some of the gaps!

Question: To fill an half-inch gap round the window frame. Apply sealant with a "gun" or rough-fill first with something else (polyfilla?) to get the gap down to decent proportions.

Mike

Sponsored Links
It would be better to use Expanding Foam to fill the gaps and then cut it back and fill over when it is set. Be careful with the foam though because a little does go a long way.

DAZB said:
It would be better to use Expanding Foam to fill the gaps and then cut it back and fill over when it is set. Be careful with the foam though because a little does go a long way.

Yes, I've heard a few stories about this stuff.
As I'm a relative DIY newbie I may stick to polyfilla to reduce the gap in places.

Mike

no stick (literaly) with the foam, pollyfilla will shrink and crack

Sponsored Links
like dazb said put a thin bead of foam along the gap stand back and watch, it grows and axpands, they should call it exp..... to late. if the gap is too big maybe stick a plastic bead on.

>if the gap is too big maybe stick a plastic bead on.<

Thanks for your reply.

I've decided to stick on a white rubber bath sealing strip, rather than mess about with silicone sealant. It shouldn't be exposed to too much water -- I see there is some sort of black plastic layer behind the UPVC frame.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back