Lawn Sand to kill moss on lawns

Sponsored Links
I've heard about lawn sand, but was wondering why people used it rather than all the things available from garden centres/diy stores. Is it better/cheaper/easier to use? I wouldn't mind trying it on my lawn, but can't find anyone who sells it! Whenever I ask, I just get advised to use Evergreen mosskill (in sachets), or a general all-purpose feed&weed.

Is lawn sand a general term, or is it something specific? If it is available and good, where can it be bought from?

I've heard of Westland - Just need to source some now - cheers!

Seneca, you read my mind! I've done a bit of research on the web for Lawn Sand, it seems to be the only product to reduce moss before using products like Evergreen all-purpose. I guess you can buy it online but the postage cost would make it an expensive purchase.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

The best way to kill moss in lawns in to spray it with an iron solution. This is sold in powder form at amenity suppliers and you just dilute it as per the instructions.

This is the cheapest and easiest way to kill the stuff. The solution doesn't harm other plants, or the grass, and you'll see the moss start to turn black in about two hours after spraying.

The only thing to watch is it will turn concrete a shade of brown, which does wear off after a few months.

Best

Im doing my lawn at the moment and just using some chemical stuff as i want quick results, it is my plan to then use sharp sand to keep it surpressed and stop it returning. my understanding was that sand (and drainage) is the longterm solution and chemicals the short term.

Hi,

Moss and lichens are funny stuff. I get a lot in the lawn yet my ground is stony and very well drained. The theory that moss grows in the shade is dubious as I have it growing on rocks in flower beds in full sun.

The best way to keep moss at bay is probably to keep a thick, healthy lawn. It may be that applications of lawn sand regularly would also keep the moss at bay - once you have clean grass. I find it no trouble to kill moss with the iron solution I mentioned. The trouble comes with having to scarify the dead moss and thatch out of the lawn: it's amazing just how much there is to get rid of.

Good luck

Lawnsand is sold in my local B&Q and Homebase plus countless garden centres not a million miles from where I live. It doesn't have any other name and any 'make' will be effective if applied properly.

Stan

Hi, Just make sure you don't mow 3 days before or after application, it kills the grass!

It says that on the tin!

Use iron sulphate, apply as even as possible (disc spinner best) leave for a couple of days if no rain during that period water with hose pipe. The powder sits on the moss to kill it but also on the leaf blade of the grass turning it black washing it off prevents it scorching the grass, it will return to a lovely dark green not long after-the grass that is.

coastal16 said:
Use iron sulphate, apply as even as possible (disc spinner best) leave for a couple of days if no rain during that period water with hose pipe. The powder sits on the moss to kill it but also on the leaf blade of the grass turning it black washing it off prevents it scorching the grass, it will return to a lovely dark green not long after-the grass that is.

And IIRC, Lawn sand is just sand mixed with, you've guessed it, iron sulphate...

If you look at most of the moss killers, they have iron sulphate in then.

Last time I bought a 10kg bag of FeSO4 (about 10 years ago!), it cost less than £5...so by far the cheapest way to kill moss although a pain to disolve and apply at the time. Perhaps best as OP said to sprinkle dry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(II)_sulfate

James

The sand carries the iron sulphate, making it easier to evenly spread. Bought a large bag of Lawn sand for £4.50 covers 185sq metres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back