Laying 18mm Oak Floor on concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The concrete floor at present is over laid with vinyl tiles.The flooring supplier states I should remove all the vinyl tiles and glue the floor directly to the concrete, the vinyl tiles are sound and free from damp is there any reason why the wood floor should not be laid directly onto the vinyl tiles

Sponsored Links
Mike P3 said:
The concrete floor at present is over laid with vinyl tiles.The flooring supplier states I should remove all the vinyl tiles and glue the floor directly to the concrete, the vinyl tiles are sound and free from damp is there any reason why the wood floor should not be laid directly onto the vinyl tiles
The first reason that comes to mind is that the manufacturer recommends you don't do it.

Personally, I would call them and ask why, if the tiles are sound, they have to be taken up.

I would just lay batons ontop of the tiles and then put your flooring on that.Its what i ended up doing as there was no sign of damp.

I would have thought that it was a no no to lay flooring directly onto concrete. You have to lay a membrane under laminate flooring - I would have thought the same would apply to solid wood flooring too.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
I would have thought that it was a no no to lay flooring directly onto concrete. You have to lay a membrane under laminate flooring - I would have thought the same would apply to solid wood flooring too.
Laminate flooring is designed to float on the substrate. I believe this is at least part of the purpose of the membrane.

gcol said:
You can glue hardwood flooring directly to concrete if there is no sign of any moisture, however on most concrete, including anything that been laid less than a couple of years we apply a coat of epoxy resin first to act as a moisture barrier.

We normally recommend that with vinyl tiles you leave them where they are (because removing them normally ends up with damaged screed/concrete floor). Install the new floor floating and use a combination of DPM and sound-insulation underlayment. (Dpm to prevent 'sweating' of the vinyl tiles reaching the new floor)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back