Laying a Patio - questions with Pics!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have recently moved into our first house and there is an area clear in our back garden in which we would like to lay a patio.

Pictures are here:

url]

As you can see we have a concrete slab coming out from the house wall by a few feet which sits about 3 inches higher than everything else, and another concrete slab going down the other side of the patio.

We thought we could build up to the height of the concrete slab coming out from the house and lay slabs so that these are at the same level i.e. not pave over the concrete.

So ...

1) We are thinking of using MOT to build up to the right height (or could we just use sand??), and a mortar mix to lay the slabs on. Does this sound OK and if so do we compact the soil, lay MOT/ sand on top and compact this, and then lay mortar and slabs?

2) How could we create a nice edge to the patio, on one side, to keep in whatever we will use to build up the level, and on the other sides, to create a border with the lawn and flower bed? Would a small brick wall around be best?

3) Do you think this is the best way of finishing this area and if not - any ideas??

Any help / advice would be really greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yvonne
[/img]

Sponsored Links
hi Yvonne, may i suggest ypou use the edit button to.........edit your post

you have [/image] and [image] the wrong way round

it should be [image] [/image]

you can also use the preview button too.

use mot, it will need to be compacted. then wet lay them on a bed of mortar, which will give you the strongest and best result. the edging could be done in brickwork, or mini-sleepers etc.

Sponsored Links
Wonky said:
Thanks - it should work now!!!

it does, but even better if you moved it up a line

you have

it should be

and as i said i suggest you try the preview button before the post reply button

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back