Laying carpet over floating floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new house with oak floorboards over a concrete subfloor. The subfloor itself is uneven and the floorboards were seemingly laid floating, leading to quite a lot of squeaking and creaking when walking around on it.

Anyway, I want to lay down carpet over it without removing the floorboards. Is this advisable or do I need to remove them?

Also, will the carpet have any effect in getting rid of the squeaking? Would any specific type of carpet be better in dampening the noise?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Sponsored Links
you could try talcom powder where it squeaks (no its not a koke, read it on here)

Yeah - I read that here before (and apart from stinking up the house for a few hours it didn't seem to do much) but I want to have carpet in my living room floor, not wood (squeaking or no).

Just wondering if there is an issue with laying the carpet on the floorboards or if I need to take them up altogether before its laid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back