Laying floating laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a concrete floor that I would like to lay a floating laminate floor onto. I have leveled the floor with floor leveling compound but I think I mixed the compound too thick as there are lots of trowel marks and small ridges :cry: . How level do I have to get the floor to lay the laminate (assuming that underlay foam can cope with minor irregularities) Could I put down a double layer of foam or something?

thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
Hi

try 20mm or 25mm polystyrene, can get this from wicks

its great insulation and as long as the peaks and troughs are not more than 25mm , you can bang the poly onto a trowle or ridge mark and it will squash over it

Hi HOASAMU

Thanks for advice.
The ridges are no more than 1-3mm but there are a lots of them. Wouldn't 20mm polystyrene be a bit soft to lay flooring on top of - have you tried it yourself? I was wondering if the normal underlay stuff would be adequote for minor inconsistancies?

thanks

Ian

I would use either the woodfibre based underlay that comes in panels (with a DPM because of the concrete floor) and is quite thick, or Floormaster Heavy Duty Underlay which has a foil backing acting as a damp proof membrane. The Floormaster only handles 1-2mm deviation, but laminate flooring can take quite a bit of punishment in terms of bumps and ridges. You might get some squeeks and creaks because of this, but it doesn't fall apart the moment you step on it. Polysterene could also be used and it won't compress like you imagine it would because the laminate floor is spreading your weight across the poly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks HandyJon,

It looks like I can get away with the bumps and ridges using some underlay. I don't know how thick Floormaster Heavy Duty Underlay is but B&Q also do 'Unifelt Underlay' that is 7mm thick - however you need a separate DPC for this.

thanks

Ian

HI

yeah i used this method on my conservatory floor

we laid a concrete floor , but the bloody dog walked across it
when it was semi dry leaving a nice trail of foot prints behind

i put the sheets of poly down first and where there were ridges
from the paw prints i bang the poly a coupl eof times and it took out the problem

then i laid the floor on top

as its in compresxion all the time the poly sheet is very strong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back