Laying Marmox onto concrete floor ready for UTH and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a concrete bathroom floor. On the whole it is in pretty good nick but there are a few patches of dusty/crumbly areas.

I want to lay 6mm Marmox down before the tiler comes on Monday to lay the tiles.

The floor is not perfectly level as it is, there are a few humps.

Can I use flexible tile adhesive when I am laying the Marmox to make up for any difference in the floor?

Do I need to treat the floor with anything prior to this (I've seen mention of primer/bonfing agent - which one)?

If I can't go straight on with the Marmox could I use latex self levelling stuff and if I use this will it dry out in time for me to fit the Marmox and then the tiler to put the tiles on top of that?

Any help would be much appreciated (and fast!).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
OK I went to B&Q last night and picked up some "Unibond Ultra Rapid Set+ Floor Adhesive". This claims to be able to level and fix up to 20mm depth so sounds like it is just up my street.

The one thing that concerns me is that it does not say it is flexible BUT it does explicitly state that it is suitable for underfloor heating - one of the reasons I bought it.

I am only using this to fix the Marmox to the concrete subfloor - the tiler will then use flexible adhesive on top of this to fix the tiles and UTH to the Marmox. However, I have seen it stated that flexible adhesive should also be used for fixing the Marmox to the subfloor but I'm not entirely sure why as most of the heat should be on the upper side of the Marmox so why does the lower side interface need to be flexible?

Anyway, can anyone tell me whether this adhesive will be suitable for fixing the Marmox to the subfloor? Oh and my the way I have 10mm Marmox not 6mm - they sent me the wrong stuff!

I also picked up some PVA - I will use this in ratio 1:5 with water to prime the concrete floor first as stated on the adhesive packaging. Presumably I need to try and get as much dust up as possible?

Comments please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back