Laying paving slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I put paving slabs straight onto top soil? If not, what is all this talk about sharp sand and cement. Do I make up a quantity of sand and cement and blob a bit underneath?

Lady who needs advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi lady who nneds advice :)

Soil isnt very good under compression, in that it will allow the slabs to move about and become unlevel once you start to move around on them. (making your patio look like a council layed street!!!)

Normally slabs are laid on a base of soil, hardcore (crunched up brick, slabs stone e.t.c.) and then finally sand (to even out the surface).

It all depends on whether you are laying the slabs for a driveway which will have to cary weight, or just for a decorative area which will be mainly unused.

Hope this has helped.

I never use cement, just place on sharp sand that has been thumped down. Main reason is that requirements can change and paving may need to be removed and placed elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back