laying ridge tiles without getting cement on the other tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought my ridge tiles having built my new roof and tiled it. How do i cement these in place without getting cement all over the new tiles. Someone mentioned fixing a batton along the bottom but i have used redland renown tiles so they have a profile, hence the batton wouldnt stop it all.

Also how do you stip cement falling down beteen the top rows of tiles?

thanks

Sponsored Links
This is where experience and skill makes a difference. Can't teach you how to make a perfect job but can give tips:-

The cosistency of the mortar is very important, 3:1 builders sand/cement, bit of Febmix all well mixed. Not too much water, muck needs to be stiffish and non slumping.

Mark where the edge bedding needs to go and put approx 50m high x 50mm wide bed of mortar each side of apex. Place ridge tile on bed and gently tap down to required height and level, scrape away excess mortar as required, smooth off mortar either as you go or later depending on 'trowelability' of mortar.

Do not keep trowelling the mortar, it draws the water out and makes it slump.

Put broken pieces of tile between the ridges to support the mortar.

Thanks roofer

Particularly like the tip of putting broken pieces fo tile beteen the ridge to support the mortar. Just wish now that i hadnt thrown all the half tiles off the scaffolding onto the rubbish heap in my garden now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back