laying solid wood floor

ad.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to lay a solid wood or engineered solid wood floor in a room with skirting boards already in place.

I really don't want to remove the skirting and refit it, because the walls have been skimmed (for the previous owner) with the skirting in situ. I also don't really want to go for leaving a visible expansion gap and covering it with an extra piece of wood. So, I want to take the bottom 10-15mm of skirting board off all the way round the room, the ideal took would be an electric undercut saw but they're about 300quid and not much use for owt else. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
You can hired it from HSS tools hire shop,I have done this but take great care as the blade are approx £200 ! and chargeable if teeth of the blade is damaged so make sure you don't hit any nails and the back of the walls.Best to cut the backing of the skirting board leaving approx 4mm then split it with a hammer & chisel.In the corner of the skirking boards you will need to use a very sharp chisel as the saw cannot get into the corner.

I was looking to buy one of these myself the other day and this was about the cheapest I found here

Sponsored Links
BTW, I think I have a power tool addiction problem... :confused:

I thought I could stop, but that 'in situ' door trimmer! what a fantastic toy!

Are there any other sufferers???

I blame Screwfix myself... Bad people!!! :D

Cutting depth on the Karlton Door Trimming saw is 0-60mm compared to 18mm for the biscuit jointer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back