Laying tiles in kitchen - what should it cost?!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum and so far I've learnt a lot about preparing kitchen floors for the laying of tiles on plywood (I'm going to check how thick the plywood is).
I've asked for some quotes to lay 600 x 600 ceramic tiles and for 27sqm it's looking at costing me £2k !

The most professional sounding guy said he would recommend detra matting (£20/sqm including glue) + £12/sqm to lay the tiles down + £45/sqm to fit the tiles + sealer.

Does this sound right?

Also, got a new kitchen coming in, do we fit that first and tile round the units?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There's a dedicated tiling forum a bit further down the page ya know. ;)

Tile first, fit kitchen afterwards.

You won't generally get prices on here, it's difficult without seeing the job. But reckoning on 27 sq metres with that size of tile a rough estimate would be:
12mm ply + screws - £300
adhesive - £250 (Bal single part flexible)
grout - £50
Sealer (if required) - £150
Labour (4 man days, screw down ply, tile, grout, seal) - £1000 (London prices)

Without seeing the job I reckon about £1750 but that doesn't include detra matting. So your price doesn't sound too bad.

wow, shocked at how much it all costs. i didn't know there was a tile forum, sorry ;)

I think this guy is still quite expensive, as his quote didn't include for sealer and we've already got the ply, but good to know roughly what I should be expecting, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Well if you fit the ply (staggered and screwed every 200mm all over) and seal the tiles yourself you'd only be looking at paying 2.5 days labour + materials.
If he's just laying the tiles and grouting then reckon on just less than £1000 including the adhesive and grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back