Laying turf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be laying turf on Saturday for the first time. I'm doing the sensible thing and removing the top 3 inches of old soil and replacing it with topsoil. The old soil is full of stones and isn't very nice overall.

I'll then be leveling the topsoil and laying the turf.

Now, can anyone in the know please suggest things that I should or shouldn't be doing! Like, do I need to compact the topsoil with a roller? What's the best way to lay turf? How long before we can walk on it? etc etc.

Your suggestions will be greatfully received! I want to make sure my grass is the best in the neighbourhood! :D

Sponsored Links
skellem said:
I'll be laying turf on Saturday for the first time. I'm doing the sensible thing and removing the top 3 inches of old soil and replacing it with topsoil. The old soil is full of stones and isn't very nice overall.

I'll then be leveling the topsoil and laying the turf.

Now, can anyone in the know please suggest things that I should or shouldn't be doing! Like, do I need to compact the topsoil with a roller? What's the best way to lay turf? How long before we can walk on it? etc etc.

Your suggestions will be greatfully received! I want to make sure my grass is the best in the neighbourhood! :D

the best way to lay turf is put your top soil down rake it out even get a plank of wood and walk along it to flatten
lay your turf brick style cut edges of with a knife and get a fork spike the grass and then water forgot to mention when you lay your turf place plank of wood across and walk on plank to flatten turf to soil

Thanks for that! I'm looking forward to doing it now, even though I know it's going to kill my back! :(

Sponsored Links
Well, I got a bit layed today. I only had a couple of hours, so didn't get it all done:

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

I have just laid my first lawn.

I have had a horrendous experience with purchasing the turf online and I recommned everyone avoids http://www.onlineturf.co.uk/, otherwise known as NorthWest Turf Ltd.

thier customer service is atrocious and the lawn arrived brown. I was even asked by my neighbour 'had I laid it up the right way!'

I placed an order on Thursday 16th for 25sqm of turf. I also paid £25 premium for deliver on Saturday 18th. After waiting all day (with a friend who came over to help me carry the turf through the house as I have no rear access), the delivery did not arrive.

On the Monday I called Northwest Turf who said that I had actually ordered for delivery on the Friday 24th. I wouldn't have done that as I was going to be at Glastonbury! She was adament that I had and I did not have the confirmation email at hand to prove otherwise. I then rescheduled the order for Wednesday the 29th.

Later in the evening I found the email confirmation indicating I had ordered the Saturday delivery. Next morning on the Tuesday I called them back. They blamed the website on the error and confirmed the delivery on the 29th and said he refunded my £25 Saturday delivery fee. Guess what ... no delivery on Wednesday and no refund!

Called them back again and they said the order had been logged for Friday. This is despite two of them confirming orders in the system. When the turf did arrive I requested an afternoon delivery. It arrived before 11am. When I got home the turf was brown and dry.

Every call I have made to each person they have said they would call me back or get their director (Mr Mercer) to call me to explain and he would have the authority to offer a refund. Yet I have heard nothing.

I would never use them ever again and I urge you to avoid them too. I understand mistakes happen. But not this often, and I don't like being given bull, and told lies.

K

always use a local reputable firm. the company i use grows its own standard quality, and gets the fine stuff from a network of growers in norfolk. It is always delivered within 24 hours of being cut at most. Still alive with wildlife, green and moist and it goes down the same day. The sheds and a lot of internet companies have jumped on the bandwagon and offer a product that thye know little or care much about.

go local

I made the mistake of having the turf delivered on Friday and I only laid it on Saturday. It had started going slightly yellow. It's been less than a week though, and it looks lovely! It's recovered well and growing really fast.

I also used a local company and paid £2.50/M Not too bad, and the turf is top quality as well.

skellum...just out of interest - where did you get your slabs, and what did they cost...cheers

hey skellum, just a thought. why not change that manhole cover for a deep redceesed one. you could fill it with topsoil and turf it then!

ellal, the slabs cost me £3.60 each from a place called Peppard Landscaping near Basingstoke.

Thermo, I have been racking my brains trying to find a solution for that manhole. It really is ugly. Thats a good idea about the recessed manhole. is it possible to still access it afterwards? ie is the lid like a tray that you can plant grass in?

skellem, from the look of the cover, youll probably need to knock off the the top course of brickwork (make sure none goes down the hole!) then bed the new cover in mortar, fill with good topsoil and lay turf on top. It is just like a tray, used to accept paving so that you dont see the cover. The only thing you will see is two metal lines of the frame and the cover at the edges. Youll just have to be a little carful with the kiddies, but its better than a whacking great cover for them to fall over on! You may just have to trim it by hand when you come to cut the grass, unless you have a hover mower.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise you could use those covers for grass as well. I've seen them for paving many times. I think I might just do that, cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back