LCD TV to Display PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed my PC in a kitchen cupboard & have a flat screen monitor on the worktop (Keyboard & mouse are in the draw, take out to use). The system is all working well & is very convenient for use. I need to buy a TV now for the kitchen & was wondering if I buy an LCD tv will I be able to use one of the TV inputs to display the pc picture. This would enable me to keep my set up looking neat & tidy. If the PC wont display via the tv is there anything I can buy to adapt it, and what sort of cost would be involved.

Sponsored Links
I only have a 15" screen, I need at least a 20" tv, I have just been looking at some LCD tv's & have found a Bush that say's 'PC Input' so I assume that it is possible to buy a TV that will display PC picture

If they have a PC-input, that is what you need to use. This will either be the same as your analogue monitor connector on your PC, or will possibly be a DVI connector (a digital video connection standard, been on PCs for a few years but becoming more commonplace on high-end DVDs and TVs). You could use the TV-output on your PC to the video input on an LCD TV, but the picture would be far too blurry to use for reading text from the net. I used to have a similar arrangement in my kitchen and in order to read all these recipes I was getting from the net I had to make the text massive!

LCD TVs with a VGA or DVI input are usually more expensive, mind.

You know, a lot of plasma screens have a VGA input too... ;)

Sponsored Links
I've been using a 30" LCD screen for 3 months now and can't fault it at all. DVI is the much preferred method of connecting to the PC but RGB ( via vga) isn't far off.

Plasma is a none starter really due to it's reslotuion restraints.

JamesG said:
I've been using a 30" LCD screen for 3 months now and can't fault it at all. DVI is the much preferred method of connecting to the PC but RGB ( via vga) isn't far off.

Are the constraints that you mention in anyway linked to the quality of the signal cable. I have been investigating what is on the market and I am slightly swayed toward plasma over LCD. Both very good if run on component feeds but the LCD I viewed was less good from a wider (offset) angle.

Sorry (Diyisfun) didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Just out of interest, I bought a 22" LCD with vga input, PC works perfect, TV picture quality ok & PIP (picture in picture). I bought it on the internet, prior to buying it I went to my local electrical shop (they have had a furtune from me so have no probs getting advice from them) asked what he could do he said ' my advice buy it, I could buy it at that price & make profit selling it".
TV came with PC lead & wallbracket yet said they were optional extras.
I'm one satisfied customer.

chainsaw_masochist said:
JamesG said:

Are the constraints that you mention in anyway linked to the quality of the signal cable. I have been investigating what is on the market and I am slightly swayed toward plasma over LCD. Both very good if run on component feeds but the LCD I viewed was less good from a wider (offset) angle.

Sorry (Diyisfun) didn't mean to hijack your thread.

LCD's have a native resolution of 1280 * 768 and above. Plasma's are normally in the region of 852 * 480. Obviously both are fine for watching TV but if you intend to connect a PC (as the OP specified) there's obviously only one realistic choice.

JamesG said:
LCD's have a native resolution of 1280 * 768 and above. Plasma's are normally in the region of 852 * 480. Obviously both are fine for watching TV but if you intend to connect a PC (as the OP specified) there's obviously only one realistic choice.

Right, I understand what you mean. Actually, I have quite alot of questions re Audio/Video but am unsure where to post them. Is it Electrics, Appliances or like here, hardware?

Sorry again about the further hijack Diyis. :oops:

No prob chainsaw..They start on here about foglights..then go cross dressing..But god help you if you post a post in a wrong section, all hell lets go then. :LOL:

HDTV plasma panels will give resolutions of between 1024 by 852 thru 1365 by 768. Probably cost a packet tho.

chainsaw_masochist said:
Are the constraints that you mention in anyway linked to the quality of the signal cable.

No, more the different way in which the signal is sent. A PC's component (RGB) video output carries an analogue signal. A DVI connection carries a digital signal. A DVI connection better suits an LCD or plasma display simply because of the way they work. Picture quality on an LCD is still very good with an RGB lead but you might as well go for DVI if you can.

The inclusion of DVI connectors on DVD players and plasma screens is also on the increase.

The key thing to remember with LCDs and plasmas is to run them in their native resolutions. If you don't then it just looks rubbish and weird.

AdamW said:
The key thing to remember with LCDs and plasmas is to run them in their native resolutions. If you don't then it just looks rubbish and weird.

Sorry, how do I "run them in their mative resolutions". What's required?

chainsaw_masochist said:
AdamW said:

Sorry, how do I "run them in their mative resolutions". What's required?

Use my LCD as an example. It's native resolution is 1280 * 768 so I set Windows XP to 1280 * 768. I "could" run it in a higher resolution if I wanted but the quality would reduce.

JamesG said:
Use my LCD as an example. It's native resolution is 1280 * 768 so I set Windows XP to 1280 * 768. I "could" run it in a higher resolution if I wanted but the quality would reduce.

Ah, right...I geddit now. In other words make sure it's compatible ie XGA, VGA, VAG...whatever. Learning at last! Thanks James. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back