lead flashing - mortar or sealant to fit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my dads lead flashing has come away above a pitched tiled porch roof. It is a straight run of 6 ft. How is this to be refitted - should i dig out the mortar and re-mortar or just push it back in and seal with lead flashing sealant. Thanks for any help !!

Sponsored Links
The mortar is mostly there for a smooth finish and will eventually fall out as it does not stick to lead - the thing that holds the lead in place is little pieces of lead rolled up and hammered into the gap as wedges. You may find the old ones in the gap, or on the ground where they fell out.

mortaring-in lead will work but you have to wet the be-jesus out of the raked joint first. work the water into the joint, at the same time removing any loose dusty material.

but JohnD is right, the rolled lead wedges are your primary fixing point, without which the lead won't stay for 5 mins.

Sponsored Links
I agree about the wedges, but a properly pointed joint will last as long as the lead.

I don't think the wetting is the most crucial, but completely filling and ironing the joint firmly at the right time (not too wet not too dry) is the key for longetivity.

But the modern mastic is good for a quick clean job

I saw on some lead-supplier's site http://www.caldergroup.co.uk/html/3988.html that they now recommend some kind of injected plastic sealant stuff rather than the mortar.

see also http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1404.html

fixingtoabutmentwalls.gif

If so, what has changed from the last few hundred years of lead and mortar?

Skill, ability?

i also saw some little v shaped clips - presumably to replace the rolled lead (sorry traditionalists!!). Are these any good. Thanks to all previous responses.

jamiller said:
i also saw some little v shaped clips - presumably to replace the rolled lead (sorry traditionalists!!). Are these any good. Thanks to all previous responses.

lead wedges can cause upvc window sills to distort if too mutch pressure is applied to the wedge. so, i guess in a scenario whereby dressing lead directly under a window is unavoidable, then the "v"clips will probably be favourite.

agree.......v clips and the lead mastic.....gotta move with the times ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back