Lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping to find info re max runs of lead flashing and max overall size of lead flashing recommended. My problem is leaking lead work on new conservatory. Builder has used short strips contrary to spec on drawing and claims larger strips are not suitable because of need for expansion. He proposes to seal joints with silicone seal which I fear is a 'bodge'. He has also (separate job) repaired flashing on a chimney, he has tucked the lead into a slot cut in the chimney but has used silicone seal. Again I suspect a bodge, but he says its OK. I seek advice if you can offer it. Any chance of speaking by phone?
Can I fax you with diagram of large area of flashing on conservatory roof, specified as opne sheet to deal with a triangular shape which gets narrower as you go down the roof?

Would greatly appreciate some help, have not paid builder but I think he is about to get nasty and considers he knows best way to solve leak whereas I think he should have done the work to spec on architect's drawing.

Sponsored Links
lead flashing should be split into short lengths, typically max of 1.5m long for code 4 flashing. there is a special lead sealant available for jointing. wickes do an informative leaflet on 'using lead sheet' (no 22)

I recently flashed my conservatory roof myself. I cut about 1 inch into the stone wall of the house using a diamond saw, then inserted 1.2m long strips of lead (230mm wide code 4 roll from Travis Perkins) horizontally with a 20cm overlap between sections. The lead was secured to the wall using lead wedges hammered into the slot above the sheet every 12" or so. I used no silicone. I have had no leaks so far!

I agree - try to get Wickes leaflet 22 - it contains all the info you require.
Also "Calder" produce a free leaflet on what's required - a builders / roofing merchant should have a few copies

Sponsored Links
Sherwood have a look at the previous post bit the mod typed ;)

I was hoping to find info re max runs of lead flashing and max overall size of lead flashing recommended. My problem is leaking lead work on new conservatory. Builder has used short strips contrary to spec on drawing and claims larger strips are not suitable because of need for expansion. He proposes to seal joints with silicone seal which I fear is a 'bodge'. He has also (separate job) repaired flashing on a chimney, he has tucked the lead into a slot cut in the chimney but has used silicone seal. Again I suspect a bodge, but he says its OK. I seek advice if you can offer it. Any chance of speaking by phone?
Can I fax you with diagram of large area of flashing on conservatory roof, specified as opne sheet to deal with a triangular shape which gets narrower as you go down the roof?

Would greatly appreciate some help, have not paid builder but I think he is about to get nasty and considers he knows best way to solve leak whereas I think he should have done the work to spec on architect's drawing.
if he has used lead mate,that is not a bodge,it is used in a silicon gun as an alternative to pointing with muck

doublezero, 101515130 only wrote that 6 years ago

Posted: Fri May 03, 2002 04:44

it was also the one and only post he / she ever made

The rate this forum goes, anything over a month is old, 6 years is ..............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back