Lead Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am goinf to be putting my conservatory up in a couple of weeks and am after some advice on how best to do the flashing. It will be a georgian style. The ones I have seen have been stepped leading - look gr8 when done but difficult to do. Can anyone offer any pointers as to the best wasy to tackle this?

Sponsored Links
Difference ways of doing it,have a practise with a paper template so you don't waste the lead materials
flashing2.jpg

flashing3.jpg

flash_abut11.jpg

would be similar to the "lead flashing over plain tiles" I think. Just a little unsure of how is best to start measuring up for grinding the holes out into the house to feed the lead into???????

andy24 said:
Just a little unsure of how is best to start measuring up for grinding the holes out into the house to feed the lead into???????
Approx 200-250mm from the edge of the sloping roof outward.Doesn't matter if you go further as you have to re-point it anyway.
I admire you for having a go but it's not easy,if you come unstruck you can always have it done.

Sponsored Links
I believe that you also need to use lead wedges to hold the flashing into the abutment before pointing.
Also you would be wise to make a wooden form to shape the flashing as it turns from the abutment onto the roof. This will allow you to achieve an consistent finish down the flashing

if someone could just rest my mind by confirming the following that would be great:
the horizontal parts go into the brickwork by approx 25mm - the vertical parts do not enter the brickwork.

I am sure of this but would just like to check - a doubt in my mind - what stops the water running in this way????

andy24 said:
what stops the water running in this way????
I knew you'll be back ;)

Yes you're right,some roofer put tar behind it,but I use this which is suitable for lead flashing.

is it best to do this in small sections - i.e. one bit per step or try to one long continous length??

I have no probs with the conservatory or roof - just this flashing!!

As it's your first time,I would cut the lead at approx 500-600mm lenght and make sure you have a minimum 150mm overlap to stop the rain blowing back upward.

I will say it's not easy as you have to handle with care not to mark/dent it as it will be noticeable.

how is the best way to mark it - lay it along where it's going and do it that way??? want it to look neat. problem is I'm fitting it nxt w/end - the only time I can get someone to give me a hand - will be really difficult to get someone else to do it as I'm not exactly sure when we will be up to that part. I was considering making a template up - perhaps froms some wallpaper or a border - do you think this would help?

andy24 said:
I was considering making a template up - perhaps froms some wallpaper or a border - do you think this would help?
Yes :!: and work on the workbench,table or plywood etc.Cut out the step first then a piece of timber,say approx 4"x1" lay flat toward the centre of the lead then move that to the edge of the table (you might find it easier to use G-cramp to the table) and bend it upright with another 4"x1" underneath to form a L-shape.Never hit the lead with a hammer,use a block of wood to protect it or better still use a proper lead tools accessories.

job done!!! as it happened when I unpacked the roof there was something called conservaflash in it - a plastic modular flasing - specifically designed by the manufacture of the roof - ultraframe. What a doddle - grind out the slots - pop it in and seal up!!! what was I worrying about!

For those who don't know what conservaflash is.
conservaflash.jpg

Well done,what did they recommend for the side step to stop the rain going in ?

side step........do you mean where it goes into the wall?? if so you only need to grind out a really thin slot - and judging by the pictures I got with it - silicone sealant sufficed!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back