Lead or flash band

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just about to finish my conservatory roof, could anyone tell my which should i use Lead or flash band. all the conservatories i have seen have been sealed with skicky flash of which i have used on many occasions for other quick fix projects some 6 or 7 years ago and it still water tight, but the company which a bought the conservatory from has recommended lead flashing, anyone any ideas.

Sponsored Links
chuckle bros said:
I'm just about to finish my conservatory roof, could anyone tell my which should i use Lead or flash band. all the conservatories i have seen have been sealed with skicky flash of which i have used on many occasions for other quick fix projects some 6 or 7 years ago and it still water tight, but the company which a bought the conservatory from has recommended lead flashing, anyone any ideas.

Entirely up to you really, but if that's what they recommend?

Flashband is supposed to last for about 10 years, lead will outlive the conservatory but is more expensive. There's also a butyl rubber flashing, which is somewhere in the middle pricewise.

Sponsored Links
chuckle bros said:
I'm just about to finish my conservatory roof.

WTF :eek: You are the quickest builder I know.

In the building thread, you posted about not getting your dwarf walls square

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 pm Post Subject: Can’t get my dwarf wall square

I have bought a conservatory which requires a dwarf wall.
I just can’t get it square, I have built it up to 4 course high but it is running in about 3 inches.

You posted that at 3.38 PM and this post was at 8.09 PM

Respect!
:LOL:

i had flash band applied to a fibreglass roof,first good rain we had it came away from the wall and leaked,i had to get replace it with lead

Flashband does actually work if carefully installed. Clean the area first, use primer, and warm up the band with a hairdrier or heat gun, before firming it down with one of those seam rollers for paperhanging. Although admittedly lead is the better option.

Deluks said:
Flashband does actually work if carefully installed.
Correct, that where people goes wrong although I don't like them, the biggest problem is in the cold weather, the bitumen backing will brittle and not flexiable

The problem with using flashband on conservatives is that they are usually south facing, so will bear the brunt of the sun in the summer and the tar will be melted thus reducing its life expectancy. Your roof panels should have been bedded down in either silcon sealant or if glass putty with a lead strip over the top to give added prtection against the rain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back