Lead pipe leak...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seems to be directly off the main as both the inside and outside s/cocks fail to stem the flow.

Enters property vertically in an outside dunny bottom left corner. (Couldn't be much closer to the corner).

Pipe rises 2.5" out of the ground, then elbows 90 degrees 2.5" parallel to the side wall. It's somewhat battered...i.e. not perfectly cylindrical. It has a flattened section after; obviously had a hammer taken to it, in an attempt to 'cap' it off.

Even though the pipe is connected directly to the main, I'm told by the Water Board that it's my responsibility as it's on my land...this is true??

Secondly, the WB put me in touch with a plumbing service that initially wanted to charge around £220...when they found out that they didn't have 5 or 6 inches of reasonable quality pipe available, the story changed to over a grand, including tracing, digging and a Highways Notice for the digging....does this sound right??

Thirdly, on hearing the disappointment in my voice when many hundreds of £ were mentioned, the plumber chap suggested that I bash the pipe with a club hammer...back to square one... :confused: Is there an alternative for capping such pipes? Would a normal jobbing plumber take this on and be insured should the worst happen?

Sponsored Links
ouch! said:
Even though the pipe is connected directly to the main, I'm told by the Water Board that it's my responsibility as it's on my land...this is true??
I believe anything past the main stopcock is your problem (thats the one outside your house)

Pig of a problem.

Is the pipe in use?

Ask the Water co if they will turn it off - they may spend ages looking for a tap or just say it isn't their problem, they vary.

If you can't get it turned off and it's not in use you don't stand much chance of stopping it without digging. I have dug (drilled) back 8 inches then frozen one of these, then dealt with the leaky bit.

If it IS in use you can at least turn all the mains taps connected to it ON to reduce the pressure. Sounds like it wouldn't be on a meter...!

Lead in contact with cement is attacked and goes porous.

Closure methods are to:
tap gently with a tiny hammer, which closes the pores on the surface
use a blowlamp and plumber's solder - if you've done it before!
cut the pipe off and use mechanical connector on a round part
use a clamp of this type or similar
10487.gif

with plenty of Fernox LS-X, holding water pressure off for at least 20 minutes.
Go to http://www.bes.ltd.ukand do a product search on "repair kits" for some options.
Whacking the thing flat with a big hammer often does not work, though there are ways of trying it if you have enough pipe to play with.

Nobody will give you a guarantee of success unless they're going for the most expensve option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back