lead pipe replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in the lead pipe inside the house where it joins the copper. The plumber is removing the section of lead pipe to just outside the house with 25 mm plastice pipe to a new stop cock/inpsection chamber. the rest of the pipe to the mains will be lead. It is a joint supply with my neighbour and meets some where in the garden. Me neighbour works for a Severnt trent contractor so will get the exact line for me.

The lengh of the remaining pipe to the mains is proberly in the region of 10 metres. At this point in time i am not in a position to get this replaced due to lots of other work going of in the house.

However in the next 2 months i will, do people think this is worth doing. Severn trent will do the connection for me, leaving me to dig a 2.6 ft deep trench. Have other people who have found they have a lead service pipe replaced it?, i dont have a problem getting someone to dig the trench or doing most it myself., just wondering wheather its worth it or not. Peoples advice and experiance would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
you have to find the tee that joins with next door and blank your side at the tee.cant have any dead legs of water pipes.

I had mine replaced a couple of years ago. Didn't have to get the water board in to do the connection as the mains in the street had been replaced a few years before I had the work done and they had connected into my supply pipe on my side of the stopcock. Had to get the trench inspected though.
I have found it worthwhile as I get a better flow rate and have no worries about lead in the water.
I was pretty much forced into doing it as my supply was leaking, I was quoted up to 1200 quid from most plumbers (12 foot long trench) which I thought was a bit steep, got a mates plumber son to do it for 400 quid.

ive just found out that my lead pipe goes to the neighbours via the back garden, would that stop me from having a trench going straight to the front of the house as apparantly the new pipe has to be near to the original service pipe and this pipe is no where near my drive way

Sponsored Links
No it wouldn't stop you - but it's not neccesarily the front.

The reason they specify that is so that they can disconnect the old lead from the main. If its a shared supply then they won't be disconnecting the old one (as it will still feed your neighbour).

You bring the pipe out to the nearest suitable main (which they will specify). Don't know what order ST do things, but they will probably inspect the new pipe and ask for you to have the "T" exposed where your pipe splits from the neighbours. Once your new pipe gets connected they will come back and inspect to make sure that you have
1) Cut out the "T" and pieced it through to prevent deadlegs
2) Disconnected the old lead from your plumbing.

Speak to ST and ask for advice...

waggonway said:
I had mine replaced a couple of years ago. Didn't have to get the water board in to do the connection as the mains in the street had been replaced a few years before I had the work done and they had connected into my supply pipe on my side of the stopcock. Had to get the trench inspected though.
I have found it worthwhile as I get a better flow rate and have no worries about lead in the water.
I was pretty much forced into doing it as my supply was leaking, I was quoted up to 1200 quid from most plumbers (12 foot long trench) which I thought was a bit steep, got a mates plumber son to do it for 400 quid.
£100 a foot :eek: that`s Corgis for you :LOL: :LOL: you could get a Polish Paddy to dig for a day @ £80.oo...........then the pipe and fittings for another £20.00 ;)

The trench isn't the hard part.

The hardest part (and the most common cause of a failed inspections apart from incorrect depth) is the point of entry.

It can be quite hard getting a 100mm duct through footings when working 750mm deep. Got to bring it up through the floor inside. Makes paying someone to do it worthwhile.

If you fancy DIY-ing and not having to struggle with the footings try an insuduct. Makes things easier but adds to the cost of the job and also means you have about 150mm of brown box poking out of the ground where the pipe goes in - only a prob if space is an issue (like a driveway).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back