Lead pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is is possible to freeze lead pipes to make a repair live (street mains cannot be located water board won't help) would the section that has been frozen expand and start to leak once it defreezing!

Sponsored Links
Twiney said:
Is is possible to freeze lead pipes to make a repair live (street mains cannot be located water board won't help) would the section that has been frozen expand and start to leak once it defreezing!

Twiney, my niece recently had this problem with her 1930's terraced house. Her kitchen stop cock didn't stop. Although it shut completely there was still some flow. No problem I thought, the outside Stop valve can be shut off and a new kitchen Stop cock fitted. The outside SV hole was empty! United Utilities called in the correct situation - which they did: dug up, new valve with metal cover, and re-tarmaced. It's their water SV after all. Took about three weeks though.

If you don't manage to get them [water board] to resolve your problem, get a new stop cock fitted, above the old one if nec, whilst the pipe is frozen.
Someone recently told me to never open stop cocks fully, but leave with about one turn remaining - allows the threads to free up more easily several years later. Seems sensible to me.

Regards
RR

RR

Thanks Kev

Would I make the new connection through the frozen section b4 it or after it? Will the lead pipe expand if so I might not be able to get the copper to lead compression joint fit would the lead B quite weak over 100 years old!

Sponsored Links
if you go before the frozen bit you will get wet :LOL:

freeze the pipe as far away as you can from where you cut it

and make sure all the gear is there first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back