1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Lead radiator piping,an issue with gas

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by andrew502, 17 Aug 2014.

1. andrew502

andrew502

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone,
    I've just been told by a plumber that I need to have lead piping used only for radiators would need to be replaced as I'm getting a oil to gas conversion, something he's quoting £300-400 extra for.

His reason was that with gas, the radiators will on a closed system (surely they always are?) I'm guessing he's just trying to generate a bit of extra business for himself, but what do you think?

Thanks for your help

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ChrisOxford

ChrisOxford

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Andrew,

With respect, it won't be lead.

Lead was used for rising mains bringing water into the house but never for radiators AFAIK.

Are you sure you don't mean iron, which seems quite common on pre-war properties that were lucky enough to have central heating installed?

4. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As an oil to gas conversion will involve a new boiler then it seems a VERY cheap conversion.

As stated it seems very unlikely that you have radiators which use lead pipes. BUT we have not seen your system and if you post some photos of the pipework near the rads then we might get a better idea.

Tony

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local