Leak Sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I could have a small leak in my central heating system.
There is no signs of water damage anywhere or signs of leaks/drips on accessible pipes.
The water pressure on the boiler will reduce to a measurement that will not allow the boiler to operate (hot water and heating shut off)
This has taken a period of about 10 weeks from a new boiler being installed but did also happen with old boiler.
The system is all copper piping, so rather than rip up all the recently laid flooring, I would prefer to add a leak sealer to the system.
Is this a fair solution?
Does it work?
What is the best product to use?
I have seen Kilrock and fernox products on the shelves at the sheds but not visited any merchants.
Any help/advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Even thought you could be correct and it could well be a leak, first I would advise to re pressurize system, turn on and make sure no water comes out of blow off (pipe that goes through the wall behind the boiler, generally in copper, turning back to face the wall).

Check your expansion vessel. Drain system until 0bar pressure, and check with a tyre pressure gauge on the pressure gauge and make sure it is charged to correct pressure (should say on the vessel or in the manufacturers spec) and that there is no water coming out.

I've never used the leak sealer, always been a fan of doing things properly to be honest. So I can't give an opinion on that I'm afraid.

Well if its a new boiler its probably not the expansion vessel, and you did say it was the same on the old system. so probably a leak ,if its taken 10 weeks to lose pressure to stop the firing, then a leak sealer will probably be fine , just add it as per the manufacturer's instructions and you'll be ok it does work well on small leaks which is what you seem to have
I have used it a few times over the years and always successfully.
best to add it through a towel warmer if you have one.

i wouldnt be sticking leak sealer in a brand new boiler,but thats just me.god knows what it dooes to the aav and small waterways.(what kind of boiler is it)check all the packing glands on the rad valves as a small sweat can evaporate when the heating is or run down the pipe and under the floor

Sponsored Links
I agree, definitely do not put leak sealant in your system, will reduce the life of the boiler! Make sure its not your expansion vessel (while not common, its not unherd of for expansion vessels to be faulty on new boilers), weeping valves on the rads etc...

Thanks for the replies.
I Will check all the rad valves and tighten if needed.
I too would much prefer if any leaks were repair properly but....
There are areas under the floor that would be really difficult to access without major upheaval and also the added fact of evil looks of disapproval from the missus, could be a scary option.
The boiler is an ideal logic+ and was fitted about 3 months ago, I did have the same problem with the previos boiler but thought it was the boiler at fault as it was quite old.

Remember that you also have the option to go through the ceiling if it is possible and easy enough, easy enough to repair afterwards

Something tells me that the problem does not lay in the ceiling void, but is more likely to be downstairs rad under floor connection as they are newer installed rads and had not had this problem prior to that, but I have had a quick feel around some rad valves and found damp/wet around valves, no pools of water but defo moisture there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back