Leaking Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into the kitchen last night and wall mounted Potterton Suprima is working but water is dripping out of the bottom from 5 or 6 spots. Water is brown (rusty) and being collected into a bucket. Whilst boiler/central heating are working I am worried about what is going on inside ! I have turned bolier off but water is still coming out of bottom.

My question is how on earth do I get the water supply to the boiler switched off until I get if fixed ? I have tried the stop cock to the house (i.e. the entire water supply) but this makes no difference as it is being fed from the upstairs tank (Gledhill).

Would appreciate any help about what the problem is inside and how to stop water supply to boiler. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Leaking said:
Went into the kitchen last night and wall mounted Potterton Suprima is working but water is dripping out of the bottom from 5 or 6 spots. Water is brown (rusty) and being collected into a bucket. Whilst boiler/central heating are working I am worried about what is going on inside ! I have turned bolier off but water is still coming out of bottom.

My question is how on earth do I get the water supply to the boiler switched off until I get if fixed ? I have tried the stop cock to the house (i.e. the entire water supply) but this makes no difference as it is being fed from the upstairs tank (Gledhill).

Would appreciate any help about what the problem is inside and how to stop water supply to boiler. Many Thanks.

The only way is to drain the system down, quite a feat on the Gledhill systems!! Sounds as iff the heat exchanger has gone, quite a costly repair im afraid.

Certainly does sound like the heat exchangers gone!

Could be an underlying problem as well (pump, blockage, thermistor, etc) water can do a lot of damage to anything electrical as well!

Do you have a serial number (XYZ123 9999)

Heateam (advertise on this site) do a fixed price repair but depends how old your boiler is as to whether they will do it

The model is Suprima 70 - G.C No 41 607 79

Serial number is AHHS 618 0029

I think it is 9 years old.

Sponsored Links
The boiler was manufactured in May 1996

If it hasn't had a PCB upgrade (square reset button and around £175.00 plus fitting etc) probably going to need one after this!

Your parts alone are going to be well in excess of £300.00 retail

Call Potterton/ Heateam or consider a replacement boiler

(Last one I did on a Gledhill, the 22mm return pipe was blocked)!

I have called Potterton/Heatteam earlier today as it is under ten years old - we had our kitchen refitted in late 1997 and it was part of that. Are you sure it was manufactured in May 1996 - will it have been in storage for a while before it was fitted ?

It has had several repairs over the years - I remember distinctly the new board and switch that you mention so inside there are some fairly new parts. I have looked at the manual and I think you are spot on that it is the heat generator.

Anyway I have gone for the fixed price repair of £300. It might be a fairly straightforward job that would have cost less. As I say it already has a brand new circuit board and the water leak is to the left hand side. It has been switched off since I noticed it but the boiler/heating were still functional before I did this. I don't like to run it though whilst there is this leak.

Really couldn't afford the £300 but the six payment option is a godsend :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back