leaking conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
desperate....my conservatory leaks and ive had the company out on numerous occasions for them to apply some water sealant on the walls for it to fail miserably. Ive had seperate company to put lead flashing on and even taken bricks out of the wall within the conservatory to take a look. nothing has worked it continues to leak. im at my wits end as its becomming unusable and suprise suprise the company does not trade anymore.

Sponsored Links
Where is it leaking? i'm guessing above the doors at the lintel.

Yeah it's a right mess again!! Plaster board will have to come off again !! I'm actually drying floor as we speak!!

Sponsored Links
desperate....my conservatory leaks and ive had the company out on numerous occasions for them to apply some water sealant on the walls for it to fail miserably. Ive had seperate company to put lead flashing on .
Bet they didn`t say " cavity tray " - There has been debate as to whether these are necessary - I think they are in your case ;)

If you happened to be building an extension Building Control would insist on a cavity tray in the wall above where the conservatory roof abuts the existing house wall assuming its leaking in that vicinty.

If it is the wall of the main house letting the water in (ie no cavity tray syndrome) then as an alternative you can coat the brickwork with a silane water proofer which will give protection for 20-30 years or so

I must be thick cuz I can't see why you are all shouting cavity tray. Can someone enlighten me? The op has given hardly any info yet you've made a diagnosis. :confused:

I must be thick cuz I can't see why you are all shouting cavity tray. Can someone enlighten me? The op has given hardly any info yet you've made a diagnosis. :confused:
the company who erected the conny after it started leaking said itr doenst need a tray as its self conatained ????? never knew what that meant... he then changed the lead strip as it wasnt cut into the mortar just banged on the top of the brick. he then cut it in to the mortar and ripped the plaster out as it was saturated and moldy. they then took the weep holes out and re plastered a week later same problem...so he the put a coating on the brickes wich didnt work...they went bust. i then got a uilder to look at it he took a few ricks out inside above patio door which i didnt know what it achieved but it slowed it down but still leaks now its winter its nackered again....pulling my hair out....ive looked at storm dry why looks good has anyone else used?

Please post a photo of the conservatory and where it is leaking, failure to provide enough information will result in failure to identify a solution, we have assumed where it is leaking and if correct have offered two solutions, one a lot cheaper than the other, have you read anything that's been posted in this thread?

Freekin hell, stick em in the thread then don't stick em in your gallery and expect people to know they're there!!!!

A cavity tray will solve the problem but you could try sealing the masonry as per ^woody^'s post first. If sealing the masonry does not work you will have to fork out on getting a cavity tray fitted. You can mess around forever and a day, the problem is water is penetrating your wall and dripping down the cavity no amount of sealant or peeing around with the lead will solve it. Fit a cavity tray, getttit, comprende, sussed it, capiche?

Before
CavityTraysDiagram1%20RGB.jpg

After
CavityTraysDiagram2.jpg

http://www.cavitytrays.co.uk/pdf/23-Type-E.pdf

Does the lead go behind the plastic glazing bar trim and in to a rain channel in the glazing bar, or has it just been butted up against the plastic trim and sealant applied?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back