Leaking gas pipes.

P

paulbrown

Why do some ferrules decide they just don't want to work, whilst with others you can just throw an olive at a pipe and all's OK?

What method do you gas fitters use when a fitting stubbornly refuses to seal?

I had that trouble today and ended up replacing a T piece because it just wouldn't stop leaking.

Personally I don't like the Likes of PTFE, or other sealants on olives, preferring them "dry". What do you gas fitters do when this happens?

Sponsored Links
if you dont know then you aint competant so get someone who is before you do some damage.

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
if you dont know then you aint competant so get someone who is before you do some damage.

Don't get me wrong corgiman I agree with you about dangerous practices but that is not the case. I did 20 years at the gas but left around the time it was privatised and persued another career.

I do know how to stop leaks, I am just curious why you can do many apparently identical joints and only one decides to give you grief. To me the fittings just don't seem to be as good as thay used to be.

The job is for my own use on an LPG system and doesn't require a corgi registered fitter according to BSS rules.

Really????

must say I am not that up on LPG but I thought it said on page one of the regs Regulations concerning the safe application and use of GAS appliances and fittings!! it doesnt say except LPG lol

What have you got little cylinders or something?

I will cry off now as I keep away from LPG like its got bird flu

For water I always smear a thin layer of fernox lsx on the mating surface of the fitting and for natural gas and lpg I use that fernox stuff in the blue tub the same and have never yet had a compression leak.

corgiman said:
Really????

must say I am not that up on LPG but I thought it said on page one of the regs Regulations concerning the safe application and use of GAS appliances and fittings!! it doesnt say except LPG lol

What have you got little cylinders or something?

I will cry off now as I keep away from LPG like its got bird flu

Perhaps I should explain a little better. The installation is on a boat and uses 13kg bottles which are joined together with auto change over valves, more usually 2 bottles but you can use more.

I accept you may be somewhat aghast at the rules but here it is from the Calor site.

Do I need a CORGI registered installer to fit my cooker?

Gas installations on private vessels are not covered by current statuary Instructions. You must take "responsible care" of the health and safety of yourself and others who may be affected by your work under the Heath and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Your work must be completed in accordance with national standards (BS5482 pt3 and ISO 10239) and their references. If you do the installation yourself, get it checked by a CORGI engineer who will issue a gas safety certificate. Your insurance company may insist upon it.

A list of suitable installers can be found by clicking here.

Vessels used for commercial gain come under different rules set out by the MCGA and must use a CORGI engineer.

More here if your interested.
http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/faq.htm#gasinstall

In all fairness most people do indeed use a corgi fitter, but as I said I have been in the job, in the past, so feel quite confident in my ability. The work will also be inspected by a marine surveyor afterwards too.

I was only really commenting on the quality of the fittings!! are they all made in China now because they seem rubbish compared to what I used to use. ;) :LOL:

the stuff you need for lpg joints is plasticol x 10. a little of this round the olive will do the job. also when making screwed joints on lpg thread tape alone is not enough. you should smear the thead tape with x10 before screwing joint tight or the lpg will eventually break down ptfe and joint will leak

croydoncorgi said:
And remember only ONE type of olive is appropriate for LPG piping.

Apparently a few have been knocked back for using brass olives instead of copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back