Leaking Lockshield Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

I have just moved house a couple of weeks ago and I have just noticed that the Lockshield valve on the radiator in the living room had been leaking. It was not leaking when I moved in as I would have noticed it as it does not have the plastic cover on it.

It was only leaking when the radiator was cold so to stop the leak I have turned the valve off.

Shortly after I moved in I paid for a small radiator in one of the upstairs bedrooms to be moved onto another wall I don't know if this is relevant or it's just a coincident.

Do I need the replace the valve? if so how can this be done?

Many thanks for any advice

Regards

nothingman

Sponsored Links
Is it leaking from the spindle or from the connection to the rad or the pipework?

Spindle: Try tightening the gland on the valve or loosen, re-pack and tighten back up.

Connections: You MAY be able to pinch them up. Not always though.

David

Good afternoon

It's leaking from the top at spindle, I've turned it clockwise until it stopped leaking which was as far as it could go? the radiator will not heat up now

Regards

Nothingman

What make of valve is it? if its not got a cap on find a like for like one somewhere in the house that has.

Sponsored Links
Youve turned / tightened the gland or the spindle? If you have turned the spindle clockwise until its stops then you have turned the rad off.
Have you tightened the gland, and if so did you open up the spindle before you did this?

David

Good afternoon

Sorry I don't know what a gland is? I turned the spindle clockwise until the leak stopped a couple of nights ago.

Is the gland like a nut on top of the valve? if so do I have to turn the spindle anti-clockwise fully, tighten the gland (nut) and then turn the spindle clockwise?

Many thanks for your patience

Regards

Nothingman

Tighten the little nut on top , just where the spindle goes into the valve. Just tighten it a tiny bit until it stops leaking. This nut presses down on the gland which grips the spindle and seals around the spindle. If you over-tighten the gland, spindle will not move.

Tighten the gland with the valve open so you don't press down on the valve seat and lock the whole think up tight.

In a bad case, with valves turned off, you can take the gland nut off and "pack the gland" - what with folks ?? PTFE tape ??

I like hemp!

Only in the plumbing sense of course!

David

Good evening,

Many thanks for all your help

I opened the spindle (not sure if I opened it fully, was not to sure if it would come off) tightened to small nut on top (very tight anyway) and closed the spindle a little.

Its not leaking (at the moment) and I have heat

Many thanks

Nothingman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back