Leaking Mixer Bath Tap, help for a novice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just joined the site, looking for any assistance anyone can off.

I am by no means a plumbing expert, I have a problem with a leaking hot water mixer bath tap, basically the tap will not fully shut off, the tap head doesn't tighten fully leaving water to leak out of the tap. It has previously dripped but the leakage has now increased.

Could anyone advise how to resolve this, I presume it is more than a washer that needs replacing? does the tap need to be replaced.

Thanks for any assistance,

Sponsored Links
Usually means taking the tap apart to see what's going wrong. Depends if it's new or old - might just need a washer :idea:

Hi

You might be lucky and find the washer is all that needs replacing.

On the other hand if it as been dripping for sometime it is likely that the seat (the mating surface to the washer) will need re-cutting.

Either way until you get it apart you won't know.

Firstly turn off the water to the hot tap.

Open the hot tap. This takes the washer pressure off the seat.

Remove the hot tap handle. The head maybe held in place by a screw type (under the top cover is a concealed screw) or a pull off type.

The nut holds the tap valve this will need undoing with a spanner.

At the end of the valve body is the washer, the seat is the mating surface on the tap body it comes into contact with.

Change the washer or replace the valve body complete. DIY shops do quite a wide selection.

Inspect the seat it should be smooth, complete with no pitting or corrosion.

Re-cutting the seat requires a re-seater tool, unless your confident you know what to do might be better left to a pro.

Re-assembly is reversal of above.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back