Leaking old style galvanised tank - HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - this is my first post so please be kind!

My old square galvanised tank in the airing cupboard seems to be leaking from somewhere near the bottom. It's got two sections inside it - the right side is leaking - which i think is the general mains water side? i.e is the left side for the CH?

I have turned the mains off and drained the right side of the tank - although it's still dripping virtually constantly - that's what makes me think it must be leaking from the bottom , below where i've drained it off? Does that make sense?

It has been fine up until now and i'm really low on cash so cannot afford anything too expensive on the repairs front, but having the water off means obviously no loo or washing facilities (urgh!) but more importantly... no way of making a cuppa!

I just wondered if anyone can please tell me if there is any kind of sealant i can put in the tank (like a type of radseal for car rads) or does anyone know if and where i can get a replacement tank? Or are these things now obsolete?

If they are, would this mean I would need to get a cylinder type tank in replacement? and would I need major repiping or does it reconnect to a cylinder quite easily? Any advice really appreciated - asap! please!

I do have a fairly good (albeit amateur!) knowledge of plumbing so am able to do some work myself if it's not too complicated?!!!

Thanks all,

gertybertyangel

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that if an old galvanised tank is leaking then there is a good chance that all of it's zinc has been depleted and it's rusting from the inside out.

If so, it would have to be replaced.

If the tank is leaking then it should be replaced (mega bucks) or it may be cheaper to start again and re-pipe a new hot water system.

doitall said:
If the tank is leaking then it should be replaced (mega bucks) or it may be cheaper to start again and re-pipe a new hot water system.
.last did one in 74 because the whole system was iron, and I was concientious then and didn`t bodge a copper cyl. into a galv. piped system :LOL: .......IT`s got an open top :!: Well get a roofing bolt and a tap washer.drill out the rust hole and put the bolt thru` the hole with the washer against the inside and it`ll seal up for a couple of years @ least

Sponsored Links
In my experience if its already leaking then the rest is only paper thin.

You should be able to tie up the float valve and turn the mains water back on.

You can then fill a kettle and fill a bucket to flush the loo.

Tony

Thanks for replies so far - albeit seemingly expensive ones! :LOL:

Now, i've been reading some other forums about leaky tanks/cylinders which suggest that if I keep the supply to the leaking side of the tank turned off (either by tying the ball up or keeping valve closed) and just open the main stopcock downstairs, i'll at least be able to have water for the loo and my endless cuppas(!) without any further water going into the leaky bit.

Can anyone please tell me if this might be true? Only a temporary measure, I know, but pay day is not til Friday so if I can get some way of managing til then, i'll be pleased!

Thanks again!

Thanks Tony - I think you just read my mind!

Any more advice from anyone else greatly appreciated though!

What you discribe sounds antique any chance of a pic or two so we can advice further

If you see funny browny growths on th inside of the tank, DO NOT touch them! They are rust too and any disturbance would be likely to cause a leak.
A comment, not a suggestion - when these thigns "go" catastrophically and make holes in ceilings and worse, insurance pays for the lot..

gertybertyangel said:
Thanks for replies so far - albeit seemingly expensive ones! :LOL:

but pay day is not til Friday so if I can get some way of managing til then, i'll be pleased!

Thanks again!
Give us your address and I`ll send the bolts and tap washers FOC..can`t get cheaper than that :LOL:

You can get a repair washer kit that is suppied with a bolt, 2 metal washers and a rubber washer that are about inch and a half across. This will cover a bit bigger area than Tony's tap washer.

joe

Who`s tap washer ;) ...Poster`s been scared by the Profits of Doom ..........I just fix things for Farmers, they`re more worried about spending £.Than a bit of water :LOL: Glad to know there`s a better item ..have you got a link to it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back