Leaking outside pipe

26 Jan 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all,

One of my outside pipes is leaking, seemingly through a connector (see attached image). This is causing the wall around it to get wet and some damp issues inside. Is this an easy fix? And this may be a stupid question ... but if I want to get it fixed professionally, what kind of tradesperson should I ask?



  • leaking_pipe.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
You appear to have a leaking CI RWP pipe from the gutters.
The hub join in CI was often packed with oakem and molten lead - it can sometimes be re-packed down to seal the joint.
Other plumbers would use putty & paint to secure the join.

It could be that the RWP is blocked with gutter leaves etc. - or it could be that the back of the pipe is split?
A handyman or a plumber or a general Builder could fix the problem or replace the RWP.
As it's a straight drop even if the joint wasn't sealed that well it wouldn't normally leak too much there; unless there is a big hole in it. I suspect that the downpipe may be blocked with leaves / moss / sticks etc., and the water can't exit the pipe at the bottom so it backs up to the joint and escapes there.

If there is a visible outlet at the bottom, when it's raining heavily a fair amount of water should be flowing from the outlet shoe. If it isn't it may well be blocked.


Or, it may have come detached from the gutter at the top and the water is actually running down the outside of the downpipe until it hits the joint. Again this should be evident if looked at when it's raining.

Often window cleaners offer gutter cleaning services and could check it for you, otherwise most jobbing builders will look at it for you and either clean or repair as applicable.
If you can get up there to inspect. That will tell you what is wrong. Alternatively, phone camera on a stick and count down timer might get you something.

What you need is a gutter guy.
Sponsored Links
Caulked and leaded joints are used on internal rwplpes -3 or 4 inch . Those 2 and half inch pipes are often just pushed together, so that any blockages show up. The Timesaver system of c.i joints have superseded caulked ones. You can tell poster #2 isn't all that with his answers :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local