Leaking shower (from waste pipe)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I've got a shower thats leaking at the waste pipe (and caused all kinds of damage!). I'm no expert at all and as far as I can see the problem is that the rim around the plug hole is not tightly connected to the waste pipe (if you go under the shower and lift the waste pipe you can get the rim around the plug to rise a couple of mm). Presumably this is where the water is getting through? I tried turning the plug hole fittings to tighten it (it looks like it's attached to the waste pipe by some kind of screw fitting) and this seemed to help but not enough and I can't (manually) tighten it any more and wouldn't know what tools to use. Sorry for the long query but I'm pretty desperate for advice. Help!

Sponsored Links
you can get the rim around the plug to rise a couple of mm). Presumably this is where the water is getting through?
Not exactly though that should be tight. The actual seal is between the underneath bit of plastic and the underside of the tray. There should be a washer there.

There are undreds of shower traps types but try this:
lift out the chrome grid from the middle. Then Twist and lift out the white plastic tube inside the trap, from above. (Long nosed pliers may be useful)

Put the chrome grid back. The bottom of the white tube may fit into the chrome grid so you can turn the top bit. If so, undo it completely, dry everything, apply silicone UNDER the tray, (from the top using a bent finger) line things up and screw it back together.
DOn't get silicone on the screw thread.
A leak topside under the chrome doesn't matter, it still goes down the drain.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back