Leaking slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.

Due to this fantastic bout of late spring weather I have a couple of water marks on a ceiling below slate-tiled roof. I've noticed that in the region near the water marks the tiles do not look as if they are seated properly.

As far as I can make out in areas where the tiles are seated right there is no water marking.

The real problem is that the water marks are on part of the kitchen ceiling but the "dry" bit is covering an outbuilding.

My proposed solutions are:-

1. Try to re-seat the slates above the area where the water marks are and hope (naively I suppose) that it goes away,

2. Remove all the slates and battens, felt the roof, re-batten and then put the slates back on and re-point the ridge tiles (on a dry weekend!).

Is Option 2 as simple as it sounds? I have read in another thread something about slate and felt not "working" together - is this right?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
you say slates and you say tiles, which is it? How old is the roof and how damaged are the slates/tiles? Are they natural or synthetic? Are the nails rusty?

How dark it the loft?

Sorry they are slates. :oops:

There is no real loft in this circumstance as it is a roof over a single storey outbuilding which also covers part of the kitchen. There is a fairly simple wooden "ceiling" lining inside the outbuilding ceiling which I have considered ripping out for ventilation purposes.

I have not been able to establish the condition of the nails yet.

Thanks for your questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back