Leaking Speedfit Elbow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - First post so pls be gentle ;o).

Just had a new bathroom fitted, all seems OK apart from a very slow leaking speedfit elbow connecting up the bath taps under the bath. I've tried to tighten this up as much as possible by hand - should I get the wrench on to it or should speedfit connections not need such hard force and the leak is caused by a problem with the pipe/connector and I would be better off just buying another elbow. Thanks, Ian

PS: Don't want the fitter back in - we've fallen out over something else

Sponsored Links
Speedfit elbows DO NOT tighten up, they are push fit. What you are tightening is the safety ring that stops them from coming apart accidently. You may find that by just removing the elbow and checking/cleaning and reassembling it will cure the drip. Always make sure they are pushd together straight on and fully home. If this fails then you can replace elbow.

Although I would not use plastic pipework myself the fittings are capable of proper joints but ONLY if they are done properly.

The plastic pipe must be cut with a hand cutter and not with a hacksaw. The pipe must be clean and NOT scratched !!! It must be fully inserted !

They do not need to be tightened more than strong hand tight or very gentle tool.

I would suggest you dismantle carefully and see if you can see what the problem is. Do not remove the sealing bits or stainless ring as that would damage the pipe.

If the pipe is damaged the only solution might be to splice in a new length with an undamaged end to use to remake the joint.

They tell you not to take apart joints or to reuse them again. I have never had any problem doing this myself although I am very careful to do it properly.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, very helpful, I'll give removing and cleaning it a go. How do I know however if its a Speedfit or Hep fitting. Thanks, Ian

I have some white ones from Pulsar which are not Speedfit ® but are called Surefit ® or was it Sureplumb ®

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back