Leaking waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with a leaking waste pipe from my shower. Unfortunately, it is not accessible without removing the entire shower enclosure and shower tray, breaking the seal between the tray, walls and floor, the latter being slate tiles with underfloor electric heating. On top of all this, we are currently trying to sell the house, so there are potential buyers frequently visiting the house: not a good time to be ripping out the shower.

As the pipework cannot be accessed, does anyone know of anyway the pipe can be sealed from inside, perhaps some sort of catalytic liquid sealant which could be run down the pipe, or any other means of effecting a seal. The pipework is plastic.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Graham.

Sponsored Links
Dont use it and hope its not noticed :)
Can you cut a small hole in the ceiling below? probably the easiest repair,ie a piece of plasterboard,a bit of filler/plaster and a coat or 2 of paint.
Cant see any way of adding anything into the waste really

agreed, up through the ceiling is normally the easiest route. First of all check that the shower trap hasn't come loose - this can be tightened from the top.

if you can get @ and block the other end of the waste pipe ........you could try a dose of leak sealer for central heating systems ...........and leave it to stand ........that`s the only thing I can think of , that might seal as it finds the hole :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention the bathroom floorboards and the rafter, above which the pipe runs.

I am intrigued by the idea of running central heating leak sealant into the pipe and had wondered if the sort of sealant that people put into clapped out car radiators would do the trick. I think the idea smacks of desperation, but hey, anything is worth a go! In the meantime, I will try to get at it by dismantling the waste trap from within the shower.

If all this fails, I will have to mortgage my soul to the devil and get in a plumber.

I will let you know what happens.

G.

Are you sure it's the pipe? .... the trap itself is notorious for leaking - comes loose where it is attached to the shower tray. This can be taken apart from the top of the tray, if necessary cleaned and then re-siliconed and tightened.

That has occurred to me - now!

I will be taking it to pieces just to see if there's anything I can do with it. I did have a tentative go at it the other day (between house viewings: "Yes, a lot of people have said how nice our shower is...."), but I couldn't get it to shift. Doesn't mean that it isn't leaking, of course.

The funny thing is though, we have just realised that it doesn't leak everytime the shower is used. There are times when we don't get any stray water at all, which just deepens the mystery, really.

G

Does the leak appear when an 'extra heavy person ' gets into the shower, causing the shower to brake away from the seal. Or when standing directly over the waste outlet. If so, sounds like it may just be the trap seal.

Only thinking out loud ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back