Leaking WC from inlet valve securing nut.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted an inlet valve (bottom entry) to a WC cistern to replace the original that was leaking at the connector. This valve was an exact copy of the one it replaced with plastic arm and ball etc. After connection and refilling a slight leak was evident from the nut where the valve is secured to the cistern. I tightened the plastic nut a little more but was reluctant to turn it beyond the recommended 3/4 turn with spanner. As this did not stop the leak I decided to replace the valve instead with a torbeck type as these have a more tapered washer and more inclined I would think to provide a better seal. Having done this and tightened as specified in instructions the leak still appears around the sealing nut.

The WC itself is pretty old, I imagine circa 1970's. Could it have become porous with the recent moving etc. There is no noticeable chip of the ceramic on the inlet hole and I really cannot see any hairline fracture on either the outside or inside. Is there any type of sealing compound that could be used etc? Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you putting the washer on the INside of the cistern?

Sponsored Links
Breezer: Not heard about using silicone.

Bahco: Could use Plumbers Mait on the inside of the hole but doesn't this stuff react with the rubber of the washer?

ChrisR: Certainly am putting it on the inside. I have actually replaced WC valves quite a bit. So I am mystified as to the failure of the valve washer to seal. :eek:

Hi,
I usually put sealant int hole from underneath then tighten nut ensuring excess is spread around nut. Leave for half an hour then connect to supply. Hope this works.

doblo7 said:
Hi,
I usually put sealant int hole from underneath then tighten nut ensuring excess is spread around nut. Leave for half an hour then connect to supply. Hope this works.

would that be SILICONE sealant?

Thanks guys, I will try the sealant first. If that fails then it's Plumbers Mait.

it must be genuine silicone sealant, not a "shed own brand" and do leave it to set before filling (but tighten the nut first)

breezer said:
it must be genuine silicone sealant, not a "shed own brand" and do leave it to set before filling (but tighten the nut first)

Godd point, Breezer. I will sort out some decent silicone sealant. Thanks alot. ;)

L Plate I assume you are talking about bottom entry. The cone shaper rubber wahser on it's own does an excellent job, check it is right way up (flat side to top) isn't damaged, get another ball valve if it's the only way to get a good washer, a good washer is all you need. Rubber with no sealant of any kind is the right part for the job.

Paul Barker said:
L Plate I assume you are talking about bottom entry. The cone shaper rubber wahser on it's own does an excellent job, check it is right way up (flat side to top) isn't damaged, get another ball valve if it's the only way to get a good washer, a good washer is all you need. Rubber with no sealant of any kind is the right part for the job.

Paul, I have fitted quite a few of these valves before and have never had to use sealant of any type of any kind (though I have now got hold of some Unibond Bathroom & Kitchen Sealant with silicone and described as waterproof). Yes, the rubber washer is flat side to top. As I said this is the second valve I have tried to instal, it being a torbeck type with a tapered washer rather than a flat rubber white one provided on the first valve.

I feel for you, it's very unusual that a tapered rubber washer won't seal. I suppose it has to be sealant in the dry and leave overnight, meanwhile bucket and chuck it. Or just use the header tank like we do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back