Leaking Worcester 240

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with my problematic old Worcester 240 combi. I woke up in the night to hear a drip drip dripping from the boiler cupboard.

It was leaking out of the bottom of the boiler so I took the cover off and found that the source of the leak was from the inside.

Boiler.jpg

You see that pipe, the water is coming from the left, where it enters the gas flame bit (I don't know what it's called!), running down the pipe and dripping from the lowest point into the boiler. Where the water is dripping onto is the timer an electronic stuff but the boiler still seemed to have power. Anyhow, I switched it off at the mains to prevent further electrical damage but now need to know what the problem is.

I figured the leak is either the water in the system or from the mains that passes through to be heated (although there was no hot ater being sed at the time I guess it has standing water in it when the hot tap is turned off).

I drained the CH system from the lowest radiator and now the leaking has stopped so I'm guessing it's something to do with the water in the system rather than the mains supply.

Any ideas of what it could be and where I can start looking?

Cheers in advance for any help. Hopefully it ain't terminal because as much as I want a new boiler, I can't afford one just yet.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if its leaking from one of the screwed flange connections onto the heat exchanger.

To repair properly it means draining the affected part and removing the heat baffles and replacing the washer in the joint. Just tightening might effect a temporary repair but commercially we would always replace the washer for a customer so that we can guarantee the work.

Since this involves dismantling the combustion chamber it should be done by a competent person usually CORGI registered.

Tony

will most prob be leaking auto air vent.Means removing outer case to check inside.AAV on top left of heat exchanger you will see brass valve with plastic dust cap on it.

Paul

Cheers folks,

If it's owt to do with the gas then it'll be a call out job methinks. Fixed the boiler before but if there's a risk of me doing anything incorrect with the gas then I'd rather pay someone who knows what they're doing.

Sounds like it's more of a labour cost than parts cost - I know someone who will fix any faul fr £65 plus parts so may go down that route.

Thanks again.

Regards

Fred

Sponsored Links
Nice one folks. Bang on the money - perished washers on the connection at the back of thhe heat exchanger. Mate had to remove the heat exchanger and fan and replaced fibre washers that had disintegrated.

Couple of hours work for him, £65 fee (no fix no fee) plus parts. He didn't charge me for parts as it was only some washers.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back