leaks on ceiling of room with several velux windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our home has a single-story extension that was built about 3-4 years ago (by previous owners). The room has six velux skylights. It is a lovely room BUT when it rains heavily, water marks are showing on the ceiling (usually right near the skylights). At first it was only below one skylight. When it rained last week however and I was here to notice it, there was water staining showing near three of the six windows, usually near joins in the plasterboard that forms the ceiling. MOst of these have dried out now. My gut instinct is that because the roof pitch is low (v close to the 15 degree min for velux installation) AND because the rain was very heavy, the flashing around the windows was/is not adequate. What do you think I will need to do to rectify the problem? Would 'extra' flashing be available from Velux?

Sponsored Links
Probably the wrong flashing kit fitted :rolleyes: ..........or if all else fails get a good leadworker to make custom flashing ....I know 2 in Sussex. ;)

thanks. insurers appraisal guy was just out and had some ideas (maybe the flashing but also the tiles are quite small and there are a lot of them so maybe it could be them. roof pitch is probably the main culprit and there's not a lot I'm going to be able to do about that!

When you say the tiles are quite small do you mean they are Plain tiles which are 265x165mm (with 165x100mm actually visible)?

If they are Plain tiles then the minimum pitch required is 35 degrees!

This would mean a significant amount of rainwater will be getting past the tiles and onto the underlay and leaking where there are any openings eg rooflights.

Sponsored Links
:eek: blimey roofer, a bad go then :cry: ..........lateral thinking :idea: perhaps re roof with those metal tile panels that were debated here a while ago :?:

I really dislike those metal tiles - they're only good for cricket pavilions and Council blocks.

At 15 degrees there is still an ok choice for tiles; Redland Regent or Forticrete Centurion for example; the slate lookalike Redland Cambrian can also go on at 15 degrees.

One thing for sure, if they are Plain tiles an immediate re-roof is required urgently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back