Leaky Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankfully I only had to deal with the clearing up of this nightmare and wasn't involved in the action 'as it happened'!!

As re-told to me by my boyfriend:

After a lazy Sunday morning our lodger at the time decided to enjoy a shower with his Mrs in our pre-historic bathroom. Bearing in mind that there was a hole in the base of the bath that had been plugged with sealant and the bath was hanging on to the wall for dear life by the tiles around it, I considered this to be a brave, if somewhat stupid move.

As my other half was sitting downstairs on the PS2, he heard a clear flow of water in the kitchen – your man had only decided to run the shower down the wall and it had starting leaking through the kitchen ceiling. Worse still it was leaking right over the electricity fuse box. Quick as a flash my fella turned off the fuse box and consequently the hot water.

Red faces all round when the reasons for no hot water had to be explained!! :oops:

Only problem was we were left to pay for the kitchen ceiling to be fixed – once it had dried out!! :cry:

Sponsored Links
I saw a 1950s/early 1960s short film on entertaining in a house. They mentioned "Remember that your visitor doesn't know about all the little foibles... the way you have to flush the toilet, for example." , accompanied by the sound of someone unsuccessfully attempting to flush a toilet :LOL: I am sure we have all encountered a toilet where the host tells you that you must wiggle the handle and yank it quickly both ways or some similar ritual :LOL:

Sounds like you had one of those bathrooms "Yes, take a shower, but point the shower that way, don't tread on the sealant and bare in mind the tiles leak!"

Hope you got a new bathroom at the same time as the kitchen ceiling!

That reminds me of a readers letter I read in a magazine some time back. Apparently a young lady at a party had just used the toilet and after the paperwork noticed that her jobbie was a floater. No amount of flushing would cause it to sink.

As there was someone waiting outside, she felt she would die of embarasment if they came in after her and saw it still floating there in the pan. So taking the bull by the horns (so to speak) she opened the bathroom window, scooped up the little fellow and tossed it out of the window.

Having washed up and rejoined the party, she found the whole ensemble deadly silent and staring at her in amazement. She then realised that there was a glass roofed conservatory directly below the bathroom window and the result of her madness was still clearly visible.

How this girl could then go on to admit this by sending it as a letter to a magazine is beyond me, but I cracked up when I read it.

My mum's friend once recounted the tale of when she went to meet her prospective parents-in-law. They were very prim, so when nature called she thought "Oi, I want a slash!" would appear vulgar. Instead she asked "Would you mind if I washed my hands?". They led her to a cloakroom. When inside with the door shut she realised that the room was just coat storage and a sink! Oops.

Not wanting to lose face, she hoiked herself up over the sink and proceded to gain relief. However the fixings supporting the sink gave way and it came off the wall... was slightly more embarassing explaining that than saying "One would like a wee-wee" in the first place! :LOL:

But I don't think anything could ever be as embarassing as dropping your poo on the glass roof of a conservatory. :eek:

Sponsored Links
She'll be right mate !! .. Plate of well cooked bangers underneath .. no sweat !! ;)

post locked to prevent hi jacking (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back