learning german

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i fancy learning this lingo as it looks easy to learn

where would be the best place to learn it online with helpfull germans via some sort of voice program

Sponsored Links
I'm with Ban. In my experience, in order of effectiveness:

1) Get a german girlfiend
2) Adult evening classes (for the grammar)
3) Business and holiday trips so it is useful and necessary to you
4) TV programmes to reduce loss through lack of use

Compared to other languages, I find the pronunciation is simpler for an English person to get round, and some of the vocab and irregular verbs are recognisable. Good grammar is particularly difficult.

Slogger said:
Looks aren't all there is ;)
German means (among other things) 4 different types of case (had to learn them all = app 25 words all meaning almost the same - during secondary school - 6 years in a row, still got an A for it ;)
And then you have the double s, male, female, neutral and lots of capital letters you have to know when to use and when not.
If you want an easy language, try Dutch ;)

Sponsored Links
i only wanted to get to the level of pidgeon german :LOL:

thought the net would help with msn etc

night classes omg cant see me doing it now

thanks for the replys though

Slogger said:

Take it from me..German is NOT an easy language to learn. It has 3 genders (French only has two) and they do not follow what we English speakers might consider a Male/Female/Neuter pattern. Also, subjunctive is much used whereas in English it is only used in conditional sentences.

I am assuming of course that you wish to speak German fairly fluently and not just be the Englishman abroad...you know, 'Speak slowly and shout!'

Of course, if you just want to speak 'parrot-fashion' then it's a different matter. Trouble is, when you are in Germany, there is always something so simple you wish to say that you didn't learn from the tape/disc and you'd be surprised how many people will look at you blankly if you use English! I know they learn it at school but - as we all do - they forget!

Oh, by the way, I came up through the language the 'hard' way - via GCE 'O' and 'A' levels and Institute of Linguists.

I agree with Linc,
My daughter tried learning german and reckoned it would be easier to learn Porpoisese

i did gcse french, and they also taught german - compulsory in years 8 and 9 at the school i attended, it was very difficult. option to carry that on to gcse too - no thankyou, i'll stick to french - its easier and france is much closer! :LOL:

ok ok u got me worried

how about spanish whats that like to

and i really only need the basics as my grasp of the english lingo is basic :LOL:

i can speak fluent german heres a few phrases you might like to try

VOT IS YOUR NAME?

VEAR ARE YOU FROM?

Achtung.....Donner und Blitzen.......... Kamerad!.....Britisher schweinhund...Kraft durch Freuda...........Vorsprung durch Technik :LOL:

Slogger said:
ok ok u got me worried

and i really only need the basics as my grasp of the english lingo is basic :LOL:

One thing you need for learning a new langauge is not to be put off :LOL:

splinter said:
Slogger said:
ok ok u got me worried

One thing you need for learning a new langauge is not to be put off :LOL:

KOMEN SPRECKEN DUTCH!

Sponsored Links
Back