LED Tape to light switch installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I`m having a plasterboard ceiling put in our kitchen with a cutout centre and intend to put strips of LED Tape to uplight the centre.
Something like this..
57668_1000-w394-h394-b0-p0--traditional-dining-room.jpg

This is what I have
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-5050-R..._Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item1e71cf693a

Questions are, whats the best way to wire this into the lighting circuit. Just extend the power cable that goes into power supply with a socket lead directly into the light switch?

And also, I bought 5m of tape but now intend to use 10m so its all the way around the centre cutout. Would one of these transformers handle the power if I bought another 5m of tape does anyone know?
Its rated at 12v 5Amp.

Thanks alot

Paul

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
What does the manufacturers instruction say you should do?
I would not be happy having a socket outlet for BS1361 13A plug on a 5A or 6A lighting circuit.
I would be tempted to replace 13A plug for 5A plug and install a 5A socket outlet to the lighting circuit.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Product...w=5a+sockets&gclid=CIXV_8GBrLMCFUFb3godtnMA6w

If your going directly from a switch remember you need a neutral conductor to complete circuit

According to the specs at the bottom of the listing, the transformer provides upto 60 watts while 5 m uses 36 watts. What it's not clear on is whether the 150 LEDs per 5 m ir 300 LEDs per 5 m both use the same power but if you bought the higher density strips, then I guess it's a safe bet than unfortunately, the supplied transformer will be insufficient.

Incidentally, remember that these LEDs produce a considerable amount of heat and should be affixed to something metal to sink the heat away or they will begin to fail prematurely.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back