1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

LED white Light Fading away to yellow.

Discussion in 'Electrics Outside of the UK' started by Conniechan741, 30 Nov 2018.

1. Conniechan741

Thanks Received:
    Canada
    Hi Guys,

I bought a LED strip lights from amazon, but I am not satisfied with it, I think the color is bland, and the lights are getting dull, day by day,furthermore the length of the strip light is not sufficient to meet my purpose. I am really concerned, because I have placed this strip light in my daughters room, she really likes it especially, when it is dark. But Now I think, these dull lights could harm her eyes, and so I am intending to take it down as soon as possible. I am no expert in this but, you guys may be, so I need your help. Will dull light hurt my little one's eyes and this dullness, is it a product defect or is this how LED Strip works. I mean, when I bought the product, it was doing OK, but with in a few months, the brightness started to reduce drastically. I am now looking to buy a new LED Strip light, for my princes, as she likes it, hanging from the ceiling and it keeps her engaged in a way. I have singled down to a supplier near my house, but I am not sure what product should I buy. Guys,you may be an experts in this, I would like to hear from.

2. FrodoOne

Thanks Received:
    Australia
    Why would you think that "dull" lighting could harm the eyes of any being able to detect light?

You may have noticed that there is quite often a very bright light in the sky emanating from that which is often called the Sun.
    This object has been determined to be a close Star, about which the Planet which we inhabit revolves - roughly, every 365.25 days.
    Looking at this very bright light source could cause harm to the eyes of any individual.

Looking at "dull" lighting from any LED strip is most unlikely to cause problems with any being capable of "handling" the vicissitudes of living with "sun light"!

3. ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    When in university one of the projects was to try flashing LED lights to get more power out of them. It is possible using flashing LED's at a frequency where we as humans perceive them as being on all the time can cause problems, some people are affected with fluorescent lights, however in the main it is found if you have something as a child the body accepts it, it is when introduced in latter life it causes problems.

However it is unlikely the cheap LED's flash, but during the same experiment we over loaded LED's to destruction, and it was found over loading the LED the brightness reduced and was never recovered. One problem with LED strips is the label 12 volt, we call batteries 12 volt where they at 13.8 volt so the label can mean a voltage between 11.5 and 14.8 volt the nominal voltage is still considered 12 volt, so it is easy to over drive the LED's and damage them, which will give out then a dimmer light.

LED's are current dependent not voltage, so the easy way to power them is 3 LED's and a resistor on a 12 volt supply, the resistor limits the current, but it is wasteful and does not allow for any over voltage, better quality packages designed for boats and caravans have proper switch mode regulators built in, typically voltage 10 - 30 however more expensive to cheap resistor type.

So unlikely to damage child's eyes, and likely voltage was to high and LED's now damaged.

4. bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If the power source is labelled as 12 volt DC (eff) then the voltage supplied is effectively the same as 12 volt DC when used to supply an incandescent lamp. It is not steady state 12 volts DC. 12 volt DC (eff) may be 24 volts switched On and Off so as to get an average of 12 volts. Some units have been found to produce 36 volts peaks. These will seriously overvolt LED lamps and strip. The overvolt forces damagingly high currents through the LED elements.

Most high brightness LED elements produce Ultra Violet "light" ( invisible ) which activates a layer of phospher to emit light of the chosen colour. In theory a well made LED will not leak much Ultra Violet but poor quality ones and ones where the phospher layer has degraded might be leaking signifcant amounts of Ultra Violet.

5. foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cheap leds tend to fail quickly.What volyage are your leds? 12,24, 120V

This is a UK site.